Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Hi I’m Rich from Clovis, Ca.

Anybody on here have asthma and deal with a lot of phlegm issues while singing? Not so much wheezing, but while speaking or singing phlegm works it’s way up from the lungs and get in vocal folds?
I usually take a nebulizer breathing treatment before doing shows.

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
    Hi, Rich.

Even people without asthma have to clear their voices. And "clearing your voice" as in going "ahem!" is abrasive to the voice.

A good gentle vocal warmup will help to clear your voice, and do so gently. Lip burbles, and gentle AH vowel scales can help to clear your throat.

If you don't warm up before singing, the phlegm will work its way up while you are doing your first few songs, and that is not ideal.

Staying well-hydrated can help, as well.

Bob
  • Options
    Richmed63Richmed63 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Bob! Much appreciated
  • Options
    codeowlcodeowl 2.0 PRO Posts: 305
    edited March 2021
    Hey @Richmed63,

Welcome to the forums mate. I often have times where I feel like I want to cough for hours at a time and when this happens before singing, I used to think I don't know if I should sing tonight etc... I must have a cough.... but I have since found that if I just resist the urge to cough and instead have a glass of water on hand and takes small sips of that when I feel the urge to cough or 'ahem', when I go to sing, the first thing I do is the lip burbles, and by the time I finish them, the urge to cough is pretty much gone. I think this is because, form me, the urge to cough is caused by post nasal drip as I will also have sinus issues at the same time, but because I resist the urge to cough or 'ahem', there is no damage being done, then when I warm up nice and gently as Bob stated, it seems to clear up.

Regards,

Scotty
  • Options
    Richmed63Richmed63 Member Posts: 11
    Thank you Scotty. Much appreciated advice!