Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Why do I sound flat but tuner says I'm on pitch?

For some reason, especially when I try to sing more softly, I sound flat (to myself anyway) but using a tuner it says I'm on pitch. Anyone know why this might be? I'll link a cover of a song I did for reference... the first verse is an example of what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance! https://youtu.be/94GS-Zr_iL8

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    There were a few spots you were flat, but over all your pitch is quite good. Singing softly is a bit subjective, I don't hink you sang this very softly at all but you may be able to sing with alot more power so this indeed is soft for you.

If you sing with alot of power, and have good technique, what can happen when singing softly is you forget you still need to support your voice because you don't feel like you use as much effort. Less support means less control, which can lead to pitch issues.

I do also want to add, I REALLY like how you presented this song, it's inspired me and on my list of things to cover, if I ever get around to it I'll make sure to tag you 😊
  • RLVRLV Member Posts: 168
    Thanks a lot! I do sing pretty forcefully most of the time so I guess I just "think" this is softly lol. Really appreciate the feedback, I can't wait to hear your cover as well, will be delightful to hear another take on this!