Home› GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

can anyone explain me this as im confused

thing the exercises like .....resonance( nay, nya, ng sound, and hum sound), agility exercise(weeeeeeeeee, like a slide) and exercise like (may may may may mayeeeeeeeeeee) these are exercises i was doing before i discovered ken but someone in this forum said that here they don not do these closed vowel exercises because they utilised the open throat , that means i can't do that exercises as i stated above. or i can please clarify sir

Best Answers

• heidianitaheidianita 2.0 PRO Posts: 144
    Answer ✓
    Ken tells us to leave all that we've learned before by the door, or something 😅 and just do what he says. Simon says... I've been on this program for one and a half year now, and I've learned ALOT doing exactly what he says. Now I feel sure enough to try someone else's approach to extend my musical world (I'm now on volume 3, 4 and 5) but I am very glad i stuck to Ken's approach all the way up. I would recommend you to hide what you've learned before in your mind, but kind of forget it while you do this course. If you feel you miss something afterwards you can always reach back to that knowledge again 🙂
  • ElaraElara Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 327
    Answer ✓
    I used to do those exercises when I first started looking for singing advice. Something you can ask yourself: Has your voice grown from doing them? For me, they made no noticeable difference.

Ken has studied singing for decades. If these exercises were useful, he would have included them in his workouts. They are not included because they are either minimally effective, or they actively go against training good technique into our muscles.

It is up to you whether you do them. If you're interested in following Ken's methods, it is necessary to put aside any other advice and try to do exactly what he says. This isn't because of any cult-like thinking, but because Ken has planned the course based on his expert knowledge, and everything in it is there for a reason. It is the most efficient and effective way to build healthy vocal technique, and he asks that students give it a chance.