Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

A Cappella Cover: "I Don't Want To Live On The Moon"

Hey all! Been awhile since I've been on here! In contrast to my previous a cappella song, I intentionally wanted to do a simple song that didn't have very much in the background, so I tried keeping it simple. Yet when I listen back to it, it sounds like it might be missing something. I'm not quite sure; any suggestions are much appreciated.

As a note, I've always loved this song ever since I've heard it. It's a personal passion project for me to try to do a good cover of it. :smile:

Comments

• Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    That was really cool! Good job on the whole thing, well done! Something does sound off in the chorus "though i'd like to look down". I think the pitch might be slightly off in that part but I'm not entirely sure. The verses sound absolutely wonderful though.
  • FurryMurryFurryMurry 2.0 PRO Posts: 56
    Hi @Chris82 !, Thanks for your kind words! I will take another look at those notes in the chorus. Much appreciated!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @FurryMurry,

wow, that was great. Do I understand you correctly: this is an original? Wonderfull lyrics, convincing storytelling, great song.

Doc
    @doc_ramadani

Hi Doc! Thanks so much for the compliments! :blush:

This song was from Sesame Street. Ernie sings this in the original version, but the song came back in later episodes with various celebrities singing it with Ernie. I loved this song ever since I heard it as a kid. So, it's not my original song.

However, I did perform everything in this cover because all the sounds you hear are made with my voice and mouth (and claps). That's what I do: a cappella! I never heard anyone else make an a cappella version of this song, so I tried to figure out how to adapt it to a cappella. Personally, I didn't think this cover was very good. :frowning: I liked my other one a lot better. Maybe I'm too hard on myself?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @FurryMurry,

I disagree. I think you did a pretty good job. Personally, I love a cappella. We have a lot of famous a cappella bands here in Germany. And I do some a cappella myself and singing in a choir.

Doc
    @doc_ramadani

That's great! Is there any way you could point me to some of your a cappella? I'm sure I can learn some things! :smiley:
    edited May 2020
    Hi @FurryMurry,

I am so sorry that I can't provide you any recordings of me singing a cappella - because I have no recordings. But you will find a lot recordings of me singing in these Forums all over the place because I used to be a regular participant on the assignments of these Forums.

Marco
    @doc_ramadani

No worries, I will definitely check them out! Thanks so much for your help! It's greatly appreciated! :smiley:
    Do you want to hear a great a cappella band from Germany?
    @doc_ramadani That would be cool! Even though I don't speak German! I would still love to hear something like that! :smiley:
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I really liked it! As soon as I read Sesame Street it all came back to me :smile: As far as technique goes, I think in general you can try graze the consonants a bit more, for example from 1:45, the whole phrase has alot of b p d and ts in it, keeping more of an open throat might help?

Concentrating on growing your resonance will help give a more complete range as you are bottoming out for low notes, really open up on them, they are like high notes in the way its all about placement and support.

You have inspired me to include this song in my regular practice. Thankyou!
    @Wigs
    Hi there, Wigs! I'm glad you enjoyed it and that you recognize it from Sesame Street! :blush: I really appreciate all the help! :smile: Yes, I do have problems with the really low notes, it's hard to sing loud when I do them, and it ends up being to quiet! It's often easier for me to sing higher than to go lower. I will need to practice that. :smile:

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by "graze the consonants". I apologize if this is something that comes up later in the course, as I am trying to go through the course slowly with Volumes 1 & 2 and only watched a few Volume 3 videos.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Check out video 23 and 24 in volume 2 again, Ken talks about it there. Also have a look in the pro packs and watch Ken guide various students through songs as well.
    @Wigs

Thanks a bunch! Will do!
  • Kevin123Kevin123 2.0 PRO Posts: 101
    Well done! All of the parts come together quite nicely. And this is a fun song.
    Kevin123 said:

Well done! All of the parts come together quite nicely. And this is a fun song.

@Kevin123
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I ended up officially releasing it through my distributor!