Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Closed or Open Headphones

Hi everybody,

Have any of you all noticed a difference in vocal tracking between using closed or open back headphones? I find that my intonation and tuning are way better when I use open backs, so I'm able to hear the room a little bit. This has been such a big help. Anyone else run into that?

Thanks!

Donny

Comments

• codeowlcodeowl 2.0 PRO Posts: 305
    @doncolga,

Yes I agree I find open backs way better. I was singing with a good pair of Shure close backs but found when I did the low notes on E and O vowels it was very muddy like I was singing with my fingers in my ears a bit... even though I had the mix coming in the phones... it was just the nature of closed phones... I now do all my workouts with open backs, and a mic going into the FocusRite 2I4 and the mix of the Kens workout tracks and the mic in the open back headphones in plugged into the 2I4.

Regards,

Scotty
  • doncolgadoncolga Member Posts: 7
    Hey Scotty,

Thanks for the message. Ken's workout tracks?...how would I get those?

Thanks,

Donny
  • codeowlcodeowl 2.0 PRO Posts: 305
    @doncolga,

They are part of the coarse he sells here: https://kentamplinvocalacademy.com/
    It is the 2.0 coarse, which in my opinion is brilliant value for money. There is so much valuable info in there on technique, stacks of videos with both Ken and his students demonstrating technique, and it gives you a real framework for developing your voice based on the technique that Ken uses and then add to that these forums, which when you buy the coarse you get access to the student areas, and these are just an absolute gold mine of info where you can read about the issues we all face as singers from so many different perspectives that you will find one that totally describes what you are gong through and then read what advice that person got from others that helped solve their problem. You also have the ability to post a sound or video sample of you doing the exercises and get feed back on if you are doing this correctly or what you need to work on from other more advanced students. You can also post demos of songs you are working on and get feed back on these as well.
    Really for me it is the best thing I ever did as far a developing my voice, and really understanding how it works on a technical level. I still have much to learn and am learning more every day by practicing, experimenting, reading and interacting with others in these forums.

Regards,

Scotty
  • doncolgadoncolga Member Posts: 7
    Hey @codeowl,

Thanks for the message. I hope things will work out so that I can acquire some of those soon. I've been singing since I was a freshman in high school and I'm a baritone, with my chest voice tapping out around E/F above middle C. To be able to shift smoothly between the chest and head voice is a big musical goal of mine now. It would completely open up new doors. Based on experience in other things, it seems to take me 20-30 years to discover how to do things correctly, so maybe I'm on the right path. LOL!

Donny