Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Diaphragmatic support

Hey guys, I just have an important question. I've been practicing support a lot recently and have been having a problem during the exhalation process. After I breath in with my diaphram, I exhale tensing up the abdomenal area. This seems fine by itself but when I exhale my neck and head tense up too. After practicing just breathing, I start to get a headache and feel light-headed even though I'm not out of breath. Any tips on this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    You need to concentrate on seperating the exhale and the unnecessary muscle groups. Sort of like learning to pat your head and rub your tummy. It can take time and practice to co-ordinate. You obviously won't be totally relaxed because muscles will be used to produce sound, but you need to find those ones that cause unnecessary tension to eliminate.
  • codeowlcodeowl 2.0 PRO Posts: 305
    @Kingofood,

There are some fantastic discussions on this in the students area. If you own the coarse get your login upgraded so you can access them. The students area is a gold mine of info where you can hear issues/solutions described from many different perspectives. This is awesome as you will find one that you can related to / understand and these are your light bulb moments. Between all the content in the coarse, and the content in the forum it be a game changer for your ability to development your voice :wink:

Regards,

Scotty