Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Keep On Runnin' - Journey cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2z1IFRy_hk&feature=youtu.be

Been working on really nailing the warm-ups (lah, long bel canto exercise, lip drill, falsetto descending, slide) and connecting chest and head voice a lot more, trying to nail that more before I move deeper into the course. Cracking a lot less and I think I've been able to produce a much more consistent tone. Vowels are definitely something I can work on--probably the next step once I work through all the online videos and start getting further into the course.

Also about halfway through Eat to Live--that's one big hurdle I'm still working on, but after the first few days of phasing the bad stuff out of my diet, I feel like I already have a lot more energy.

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    You've chosen something pretty tough! The exercises will help you get there, but its not going to be a quick ride. Good range and conservation of air, its your support once grown properly that will help hold those notes better.
  • Options
    codeowlcodeowl 2.0 PRO Posts: 305
    @HardRockGuru,

I would add that, if you get some sort of guitar strap for that instrument, (it looks interesting, what is that instrument btw?), you won't be in that awkward position and you will be able to concentrate on all the other things you have going on there. It is hard enough just to sing and play at the same time, while focusing on pitch, support, technique... if you can reduce the number of other things you have to control, like your instrument sliding off your leg, you have more resources to allocate to all the technique you are trying to execute in this song.

Great work with the diet by the way, it really shows commitment, and it is not an easy thing to do :wink: .

Regards,

Scotty
  • Options
    HardRockGuruHardRockGuru 2.0 PRO Posts: 12
    edited March 2021
    codeowl said:

@HardRockGuru,

I would add that, if you get some sort of guitar strap for that instrument, (it looks interesting, what is that instrument btw?), you won't be in that awkward position and you will be able to concentrate on all the other things you have going on there.

You're not wrong. I've been looking into strap options, but the guy I talked to expressed concern that he wouldn't be able to fit something on without splitting the wood. Might just have to superglue something on there or see about getting a more professional-quality instrument.

The instrument is a saz, also known as a baglama. It's commonly used in Turkish folk music and Alevi rituals, and I learned a lot of that music while in Istanbul, but it's also surprisingly well suited to classic rock and grunge. I've got an electric as well, but there are some tuning issues I need to get sorted out.
    Wigs said:

Good range and conservation of air, its your support once grown properly that will help hold those notes better.

Oh, definitely, I'm already feeling myself getting a lot better with that.