Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Testosterone Shots and Vocal Range

I take 200 mg of testosterone cypionate every 2 weeks. I have read that testosterone lowers the voice. Does that lowering inhibit increasing vocal range or do you get the best of both worlds of a lower, fuller voice with a higher range since the cords are a muscle and testosterone builds muscle?

Comments

• skv123159skv123159 Member Posts: 87
    Don't take any pill or medication
    Only for the purpose of lower you voice
    It may cause side effect and don't trust on such pills
    I too did some stupidity a few years before when I soo wanted to have a lower voice , I tried to press the Adam apple and lower it and many other stupid things and it caused many pain and tightness
    I highly recommend if you want a lower tone try drinking some warm water during practice and focus on the yawning sensation
    But don't take anything or try to forcing the manipulation of voice
    It will take time but doing these scales it will naturally turn your voice into something much beautiful
    Happy singing
  • ChrisFrisbyChrisFrisby Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input but I don't take it cause I want a lower voice (I don't), it's a shot that is prescribed by a doctor for low testosterone levels.
  • RandyBRandyB 2.0 PRO Posts: 450
    @skv123159 I think you’ve misunderstood @ChrisFrisby ‘s question. He is not taking testosterone in an effort to lower his voice; he is wondering if it will be a side-effect of testosterone treatment. This dosage, I’m assuming, is part of a testosterone replacement therapy protocol administered by his physician. @ChrisFrisby , please correct me if I’m wrong in this assumption. Most of the scholarly information I’ve found in this arena after a quick Google search is centered around female-to-male transgender changes to the voice as a result of testosterone administration. There is one case study involving a trained tenor who underwent TRT for hypogonadism and it did result in a change of character to his voice. I was only able to view the abstract though. You have to pay for the full study.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11792031/

@doc_ramadani Perhaps you can provide additional insight?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hello @ChrisFrisby,

and thanks for tagging me, @RandyB. Randy, the treatment with testosterone cypionate is a common treatment in men, too. And I am sure that Chris' doctor had good reasons for recommending this treatment.

Chris, it is likely that your voice changes a little bit and gets lower and fuller. But not as dramatic as it would be in teenage puberty. So, if you stick to a solid vocal practice you should be able to keep a lot of your upper vocal range. But this will need constant training.

Good singing,
    Doc
  • RandyBRandyB 2.0 PRO Posts: 450
    @doc_ramadani Yes, I’m aware it is a treatment in men and recommended by his doctor. I was saying that most of the scholarly information of voice changes as a result of testosterone treatment deal with FTM transgendered individuals.
  • ChrisFrisbyChrisFrisby Member Posts: 3
    @RandyB Thanks for the advice. That is what I was thinking too. Without the TRT my levels are in the teens (had an MRI and thankfully no cancer) so for me it has been life changing in a good way. I started TRT a year ago, and just started re-training my voice in January. Ken's vocal program has been very helpful.
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Congrats on the no cancer