Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Resting or warming up ?

Hello there,

5 days later and I am still cold, today I tried to warm up my voice, but after the tounge excercises it got worse,
I don't know what should I do. I usually take Vitamin C pills, drink hot tea with honey, eat garlic too haha, but my voice is cracky and weak. I am a little bit sad, if you have any idea please share with me. I do the voulme 1, but yesterday I checked the vocal health video from volume 3, that's why I tried to warm up my vocal chords.

ps: I have to clear my throat in every 5 minutes.

Have a good day,
Martin J.

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    sorry to hear! try to avoid clearing your throat as much as possible, it really stresses the cords. easier said than done i know...

if you are hoarse, don't practice. otherwise, do it lightly. i have done practice lying in bed (not ideal, but better then skipping if you are feeling too weak to stand up). also, you can skip a few exercises, to make it more manageable
  • martin_jmartin_j 2.0 PRO Posts: 28
    Thank you @Klaus_T !

I appreciate your help, I hope you are fine and healthy!

Martin J.
    thanks. get well soon!
  • DannyOc3anDannyOc3an 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 668
    Hi. Do you have congestion/mucus?

If so, I have a good home recipe for that. If not, this may come handy if you ever have congestion, specially in our singing community.

You'll need:
    -Ginger roots
    -Ground black pepper (grinded/powder)
    -Turmeric (grinded/powder)
    -Honey.

Boil some water and while it's still boiling, throw in some pieces of ginger roots, as many as you can, chopped in small pieces. Keep it boiling at high heat for at least 20 minutes so the ginger infuses with the water. The more time the better. Just watch it doesn't evaporate too much.

Then add several spoons of ground black pepper (powder), and also add several spoons of turmeric (powder). I add a lot, so the water turns completely orange due to the turmeric and kind of dark due to the black pepper. I really use a lot. The dark /orange color the water gets is a good indicator. Obviously, do not exaggerate.

Keep it boiling for another 5 minutes, so all ingredients consolidate.

Then pour this mix into a jar. So you can store it for some days in the fridge.

By its own, this is quite strong and spicy hot, so to drink it you must fill only 1/4 of a cup with this and the other 3/4 of the cup fill with tap water. You may add some honey (ideally) and have it warmed in the microwave if it's not warm already, so the honey blends with the mixture when you stir it.

This tastes bad, and is ultra strong, specially if you used as much black pepper as I use. Turmeric also has an unpleasant flavor. Just do your effort to drink it all the cup at once. (remember, 1/4 of this mixture, and 3/4 of tap water, otherwise it's impossible to drink).

Wait some 15-20 minutes. Boy, you will see the difference. In my case, it completely alienates any mucus in the throat better than anything I have ever tried. Say goodbye to having to clear the throat.

I saw Ken once talking about ginger, turmeric and black pepper, and I came up with with this mixture after watching some videos on far east home recipes.

And avoid any diary in your daily diet since it causes mucus too.

As for the practice routines, it's my best understanding that Ken advices to keep on training during colds and flus, keeping the bright ping of the sound, unless you're completely hoarse and can't produce any sound in which case you may rest, but other than that, ideally you should keep at it.

Hope this helps.
    Dear @DannyOc3an

Wow, I can't find the words, thank you for this advices and reciept. If I won't be better I give it a try :)

Hope you are well, your friend
    - Martin J.
    Dear @Klaus_T @DannyOc3an

I would like to thank you again your helps... Now, a week later, my voice is better than ever. I am better and healthy :)
    God bless you! That's why I love being a member of KTVA! You helped me and I will never forget.

Martin
    great to hear mate! thanks for sharing!