Home Ken Tamplin's Corner
Options

Chest voice and muxing

Hello everyone from KTVA family, i have reviewed some ken's videos about chest voice after i had watched his live stream ''girls vs guys voice" where he said in response to someone that mixing early to reach high belted notes, means that chest voice isn't built up strongly enough, and that makes the singer rely on mixed voice..., this is what I remember, he also added that singing that way will cause the singer to lose his falsetto, thus no longer being able to belt in mixed voice.
My issue is that i'm not sure when i switch to mixed voice to know if i'm mixing too early or not, but i did a little experiment on my voice and i think that i swich atc E4 or F4, but i could be wrong.
Second, how do i know if i have a strong chest or not? And are there effective exercises to improve chest voice?
Third, when we work on chest voice, do we seek to improve its resonance or increase its range?
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited April 2021
    My issue is that i'm not sure when i switch to mixed voice to know if i'm mixing too early or not, but i did a little experiment on my voice and i think that i swich atc E4 or F4, but i could be wrong.
    could you post this for us?

Second, how do i know if i have a strong chest or not?
    good question, one way is to do a balanced workout like Ken's course, then you are sure (as long as you do it for long enough). or have another good teacher that makes sure you have it grown enough before they let you do mixed voice

And are there effective exercises to improve chest voice?

yes, they are in the course

Third, when we work on chest voice, do we seek to improve its resonance or increase its range?
    both
  • Options
    ISHMAELISHMAEL Member Posts: 14
    Unfortunately i can't post anything, cuz it's not working for me, i really feel confused.
    I mean, my issue isn't about mixing in itself, i'm just worried if I'm doing it too early in my range, for an instance i can do the Ahhhhhhhh thing starting from low chest voice til head voice without cracking.
    If only i knew what does it feel to be in high chest voice or low mixed voice.
  • Options
    codeowlcodeowl 2.0 PRO Posts: 305
    edited April 2021
    @ISHMAEL,

Hey mate. For me the feeling of bridging into head is when I bring the resonance forward. So in chest voice I do the following:
    - Keep my larynx in a slightly lowered position.
    - Open the back of my jaw, (this helps with the larynx position)
    - Raise my soft palate.
    - (of course I am also applying support and breath control as well)

This enables me to move up in pitch nice and easy in chest voice.
    When I do this the resonance feels to me like it sits in the space created by lifting the soft palate.
    When I want to bridge into head voice, once I get to say the middle third of the triads in the exercise, I start moving the resonance forward towards the front of my mouth in each triad as it ascends in pitch, and then back again as it descends.
    As I go up in pitch with each triad in the exercise I move it forward a bit more each time, till on the highest ones it feels like it is just behind my front teeth.

I did a pretty detailed post on this in the students area, but I don't think you will have access to it.
    If you can get Ken's course I would recommend it as this stuff is covered in the course, and also you get access to the student areas where we all post about questions like this and share things we have learnt.
    It is actually really good value for money, and the fact we are all working in the same technique keeps you focused instead of trying every other thing you read on the net.

Good luck mate :wink: .

Regards,

Scotty