Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Advice for how stop racing/rushing when singing

Hello!

This isn't directly related to the KTVA course, which is why I put it under general. I hope this is ok.

I have an issue when singing songs where I almost always either rush ahead or hit the notes too much "on the beat", making it sound a bit mechanical at times. Of course, manually thinking about slowing down and putting all my focus on it helps improve the rythm and flow, but as it is right now I need to put that focus elsewhere (support, vowels etc).

Do you have any tips for how to practice this specifically? Perhaps some exercises, mental imagery, specific songs etc, which could help me practice slowing down to the point where it becomes a bit more subconscious and usable when singing other songs.

Best
Anton

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited April 2021
    i would imagine this is a problem you could describe as "rhythm related". i would start doing exercises that help strengthen your sense of timing. it could be something like clapping different rhythmic patterns to a metronome, to start with. i don't know any exercises specifically, but check on the www and i am sure there is plenty of stuff available for free.
  • antonjernbergantonjernberg 2.0 PRO Posts: 16
    Yes, you are right about that. I'll look around a bit for rhythm related exercises and try to incorporate a metronome to my normal singing

Thanks @Klaus_T
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Record yourself singing the songs and figure out where the mistakes are and work on them line by line
  • antonjernbergantonjernberg 2.0 PRO Posts: 16
    @sjonrokz4u That is what I'm currently doing and have been doing for a while. The issue is that practicing like that helps with the specific song I'm working on, but the "skill" doesn't transfer to new songs at all (for me). Each new song I practice, I repeat the same mistake of rushing and racing until I've practiced it for a long long time. I very rarely have the issue where I am being too slow or dragging too much. Having that issue would be a nice change. This is why I'm looking for exercises or tricks which aren't related to a specific songs.

Thank you for the tip though, it is a good one!