Home Off Topic

Vocal Fry

MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
Wasn’t really sure where to post this. It’s a question and a general observation.

I have noticed after particular scales, if I go to speak I have a lot of vocal fry. I’m not feeling any tension, soreness or strain during the scale just the usual sort of manoeuvre to get past the passagio. It’s not like hoarseness, so I’m assuming it’s vocal fry.

I notice it particularly after the AA/AH combo which is a real challenge for me in terms of support and breath control. By the time I have fully competed the workout though it’s completely gone, no soreness or anything. Has anyone else noticed this happening to them?

Also I have been rewatching a lot of Gabriela’s videos lately. I am always blown away by her. Recently I have really been paying attention to what she’s doing with her mouth and tongue and it’s amazing to see just how the consonants etc are manipulated to make you think you heard something that isn’t actually there. I hadn’t noticed it as much before and it’s been really fascinating, plus now I’m noticing more of those times when her accent comes through as well.

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Without hearing you it's hard to know if it's indeed vocal fry, or your natural resonance is more pronounced. I do notice after a good workout my resonance in my speaking voice is apparent and I've heard the change in my girlfriends speaking voice as well after she's sings for a couple hours when I pick her up from pub choir.

Gabriela is a real power house too. I've watched her KTVA review on YouTube and she talks about how back then she didn't speak English well and watching the videos again after you can really see her trying to grasp what Ken is saying.
  • MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    @Wigs It’s only after certain scales, I’ll see if it happens today and record it, but generally it’s like when you first wake up and your voice is maybe a bit scratchy or rough. It’s definitely not hoarseness though. It’s like the muscles that control my voice are tired and have temporarily stopped bothering to work properly.

It’s not a big deal, there’s no lasting effect, I just thought it was interesting