Home Psychology of Singing

I have learnt indian classical music for 7 years. As a result, i have a good chest voice, agile, st

I have learnt indian classical music for 7 years. As a result, i have a good chest voice, agile, strong, and can belt out a Ab4. However, as indian music does not have a concept of head or chest voice, i could not go over that note.now, i am doing " western " vocal excercises, and have developed a strong head voice.but my mixed voice sounds heady(at least to me)
How can i have that chesty mix without straining?
Also, i am a leggero tenor(though i am not sure), as my falsetto extension sounds like a continuation of full voice.

Best Answer

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Answer ✓
    Without hearing you I can only assume you need much more practice in that area of your voice to grow it. 7 years is an awesome amount of time to work chest voice, head voice, bridging between chest and head with no break and percentages of mix voice are all aspects that need training and attention as well.

By working on good tone and cord closure in your head first and also being able to smoothly bridge between chest and head are things to concentrate on first. This could be anywhere from 3 to 12 months depending on the individual, then working on the mix can start. Still keep up your chest exercises though. The idea of mix is to be able to bring your chest voice as high as you can and your head voice as low as you can all safely. Within in this range is where you can mix.