Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Confusion about registers

Hi, so since I started learning how to sing last year, I've been watching a bunch of tutorial videos, etc. and have been wondering about the topic of register names for both male and female singers.

So, what I was wondering about is - "Is there any difference between men "head voice" and female "chest voice", men "falsetto" and women "head voice" and so on. In short whenever I listen to the explanations of difference between male and female register, it seems like the female register is the exact same as male, but the name is switched one up for some reason.

Especially when I see videos like:
Lowest vocal note sung (female) - Guinness World Records

How To Achieve A Natural Male Voice

which make it seem like women can actually achieve "male chest register" given the practice

Of course, all of my 'research' ends on watching random youtube videos, so I'm curious whether there may be some 'real' differences between male and female voices that I can't find because popular resources try to keep it simple?

Comments

• skv123159skv123159 Member Posts: 87
    I too did such same reasearch
    And wasted my time
    If you want to know about registers
    It's simple
    The lowest is vocal fry kinda
    Then chest voice
    Then in head voice (less air more pressure)
    Then falsetto (some airiness )
    Then whistle (look Mariah Carey see do something)
    😁
    Well every individual has different voice
    Like you yourself has something special and unique
    Try to experiment with your voice and find it out
    It's good to look to other artist and learn( copy ) some of their technique / stuff
    But stop looking at those random stuff and work on building your voice
    Share here your voice or any exercise
    There are some people here who will guide and help you
    Hope it helps
    Happy singing
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    To put it simply there is chest voice and head voice. It's the tonal quality that sets them apart as well as how high or low you go. For example a male can sing a G4 in chest voice, but if he really lightens the tone and sings much more softly then he can sing the same note in head voice.

Within chest voice you have a speaking register and a call register. Most males will speak in chest voice and call register is when you are literally using your voice to project or call out (sometimes known as belting).

Head voice is lighter in tone, doesn't have much weight in the sound. Head voice as KTVA is concerned is still a bright clean tone, falsetto is when alot of air is added to that tone.

Mix voice is where you can control the percentages of the 2 to create more dynamics.

All this applies the same to male and female and everyone in-between. It's all different for each individual where these happen but that is the general gist of it.