Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS

Can anyone tell me if I'm a tenor or baritone?

MartinPytlikMartinPytlik Member Posts: 5
edited April 2021 in SINGER/SONGWRITERS
Hey, I've been thinking if I'm just an untrained tenor or a lucky high baritone.
I've been singing almost a year, and with a proper warm up I can hit C5 in mixed and I break around F#4 or G4 now, the highest I went was probably around E5 in headvoice not falsetto and G#6 in whistle, that I accidentally found.
What do you think about my voice?

Here is a chorus of Bed Of Roses by Bon Jovi I sang, It's the original key (A#4 is that high note.)
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/ozevK

Comments

• MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    It’s likely you’re a tenor but maybe a high bari in my not so professional opinion 😂

Baritones generally have to train for some time before they can get up there. If you are getting there untrained then it’s more likely you are tenor, but of course that in the end doesn’t mean much.

Voice is voice and everyone’s is unique. I am careful not to put myself into a classification because it may mentally block me thinking “oh I should only be able to sing this range comfortably”

I liked your tone on the song, very nice, I hope one day I can have a similar tone, whilst I can go high... my voice doesn’t do those styles well. Yet.
  • MartinPytlikMartinPytlik Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, I know that, first I thought that I'm a baritone, because I couldn't go really high, but I didn't even understand that there are some registers, when I started I was trying to sing everything in my chest and when I couldn't I kinda forced it, not proud of that now, but learnt it's bad for my voice, and it doesn't sound good. So, whatever you do, just know you'll get there, IN TIME. I had a problem understanding that, but it is true.
  • esequiboesequibo Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2021
    u sound like bon jovi

Yeah, I know that, first I thought that I'm a baritone, because I couldn't go really high, but I didn't even understand that there are some registers, when I started I was trying to sing everything in my chest and when I couldn't I kinda forced it, not proud of that now, but learnt it's bad for my voice, and it doesn't sound good. So, whatever you do, just know you'll get there, IN TIME. I had a problem understanding that, but it is true.

well, high baritones and low tenors are relatively confortable in the same areas of singing so most of the time it's an aesthetical choice but. iirc bon jovi is listed as a low tenor in some website.

• HumanRobotHumanRobot Member Posts: 246

Hey, I've been thinking if I'm just an untrained tenor or a lucky high baritone.
    I've been singing almost a year, and with a proper warm up I can hit C5 in mixed and I break around F#4 or G4 now, the highest I went was probably around E5 in headvoice not falsetto and G#6 in whistle, that I accidentally found.
    What do you think about my voice?

Here is a chorus of Bed Of Roses by Bon Jovi I sang, It's the original key (A#4 is that high note.)
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/ozevK

Hi there

I'm not sure what you are think you are probablly barritoney but not sure - if you sing a scale from low to high
    see how high you can get without straining etc then I guess that should give you a rough indicator

This is a tenor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcg_ID5OlCU

thanks

Human Robot
  • TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 346
    Ken does a great job cutting through all the nonsense and myths surrounding vocal fachs. Unless you're being cast in an operatic role, who cares?

When you must modify the vowel to rise in pitch on a given vowel, do it as gracefully as you can. Where you have to modify is a rough indication of your fach. But, as Ken demonstrates better than anyone, the pitch on which you modify will migrate higher as you develop/stretch chest voice.