Home Off Topic
Options

Is Boxing or Fitness a burden on my voice?

JoshutarJoshutar 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
When I work out, I tend to make a lot of growly noices, where a lot of air comes out of my throat.
I don't know whether this is damaging my vocal chords or not. Do I have to apply correct breathing from my abdonimal for this as well? Or do I need to adjust differently?
Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited May 2021
    interesting question! fitness is definitely not bad for singing, quite the opposite. whether the growling is good i don't know. in singing with distortion, you reduce the air flow with your support, which protects the cords from being blasted with too much air. engaging your core is beneficial for most movements in fitness and boxing too, and it is maybe similar with the diaphragm training in singing. and conserving air is also good (you could check out Wim Hof and his push ups while holding back the air. it seems like maybe you could try to engage your support while doing it? just to see what happens... anything that would be more of a puffing vs. growling could also be worth a try.

i am not even sure if it is actually bad for your voice tbh, but it could very well be.

maybe someone else knows more?
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I think in volume 3 somewhere Ken talks about shouting at a football match. What he recommends is the very next day do your scales as clean as possible to clean up the voice. While its probably doing you any favours, if you practice properly you can at least avoid damaging your voice and keep it healthy. I do a fair bit of running and cycling and breath heavy through my mouth all the time, but practicing cleanly is something we always do.
  • Options
    JoshutarJoshutar 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    Thank you very much guys for your help!
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Best to avoid shouting! That is one of the worst things you can do to your voice.
    Wigs comment about Ken and the football match is a good tip for whenever you did have to shout.

If you can reduce air and compress a bit more, that will help preserve your voice.

Exercise is great for you. Don't stop!
  • Options
    HumanRobotHumanRobot Member Posts: 246
    Joshutar said:

When I work out, I tend to make a lot of growly noices, where a lot of air comes out of my throat.
    I don't know whether this is damaging my vocal chords or not. Do I have to apply correct breathing from my abdonimal for this as well? Or do I need to adjust differently?
    Thank you in advance!

HI

you growl ?

i wouldn't have thought growling was good for you in the long run lol maybe you need to find out why
    you growl when you workout ?

I would defintely think something needs to be adjusted .

Human Robot