Home Psychology of Singing

Harmonizing

Has anyone else out there had the experience with somebody where they were playing guitar and harmonizing with, hat the other person might think your pitch is off when in reality it's your approach that is different to them and therefore it doesn't work for them. You know as a student now I'm becoming strongrr in my inner core when I sing and this friend of mine sings very softly. This may be a case of I didn't realize my strength. I also must admit I have not reached the harmony section in the program yet and so I think I know how to harmonize but do I really? Maybe I was too loud. Like I said I had no problem hearing myself but even when she was singing the main verse it sounded like she was whispering. Anyway, no situation is going to be exactly like this but I guess I'm searching for others who a response from others who are progressing in the program and realizing like we're really on to something fabulous here but not everybody can appreciate it if they haven't gone through it or are going through it. I look forward to reading your post and your feedback thank you and hope to hear from you soon!

Carial

Comments

• sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I’m not really sure what you mean about your approach being different than theirs so it doesn’t work. I sang harmony and generally from my experience most people singing harmony don’t sing that loud but I’m guessing you’re describing the opposite situation where the harmony is singing louder than the lead but as far as harmony you’re either both hittingnthe notes or you’re not
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited May 2021
    it takes time to lock with the other singers. the more you play with them, the more you will figure this out. you also need to match the style. if you sing really aggressive on top of a softer sound, it will clash. it can work but it needs to lock together somehow. there are different approaches (as many as there are singers) but the more you work on it, the more it will come together. it's best to experiment and not just settle for the first things that come to mind
  • HumanRobotHumanRobot Member Posts: 246

Has anyone else out there had the experience with somebody where they were playing guitar and harmonizing with, hat the other person might think your pitch is off when in reality it's your approach that is different to them and therefore it doesn't work for them. You know as a student now I'm becoming strongrr in my inner core when I sing and this friend of mine sings very softly. This may be a case of I didn't realize my strength. I also must admit I have not reached the harmony section in the program yet and so I think I know how to harmonize but do I really? Maybe I was too loud. Like I said I had no problem hearing myself but even when she was singing the main verse it sounded like she was whispering. Anyway, no situation is going to be exactly like this but I guess I'm searching for others who a response from others who are progressing in the program and realizing like we're really on to something fabulous here but not everybody can appreciate it if they haven't gone through it or are going through it. I look forward to reading your post and your feedback thank you and hope to hear from you soon!

Carial

Hi

I guess I'm not the best person to help you with this as - I harmonize automtaically and change keys as and when.
    So I just do it as it's sort of inbuilt- But for you I guess if you just learn your part and focus on that if singing with others that may help - I guess practice practice practise with the other people that you sing and play with. I guess it may depend on where you stand as to how you hear others. But I guess it just practice.

I hope that helps

Human Robot
  • Carial2121Carial2121 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you, everybody. I am practicing the course, daily. I began vol.3, recently. However, I have not relinquished 1 and 2. Eventually with practice, hearing my voice while I sing will become easier, I'm positive.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    You are missing out on alot of very good information in the student area!
  • Carial2121Carial2121 Member Posts: 6
    I'm sure your right, thanks for the suggestion. I will, right now!