Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

This was a ton of fun!!

Comments

• DannyOc3anDannyOc3an 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 668
    Hi mate, 2 things

- Those notes are right near and above your register break area into head voice (passaggio). You should decide if you will hit them with chest, or if you will hit them with head voice, or some mixing. If you work a bit more on those head voice scales on Vol4, then you will find the head voice tone to do those clean. Remembering to sing the whole passage in a low volume so your bridging to head is smooth and effortless. Try the same thing in low volume to see if you arrive in head voice to those notes. If your head notes feel hooty, then it's a matter of working out Vol 4 a bit more, and eventually Vol 5 since those scales train exactly this portion of your range. If you want to hit those belting your chest voice, then don't lose your support:

- You are losing your breath quickly... Remember to take a full breath between scales; in this case a full belly breath between each phrase, so you don't run out of air; and keep that air inside by compressiing (holding back the air) during the whole phrase and then relaxing to take the next nice breath. Remember also to keep your chest protuded with 3/4 of air and the rib cage open all the time, so you don't breathe into your chest but into your belly. Use the strenght from the abodmen only, if you feel your throat is trying to intervene to help you produce the sound, then stop, check your posture, your chest, relax shoulders and neck, take the breath into your abdomen and use your abdomen to produce the power you need, with the same feeling you feel while doing the sit-up workouts. Use the vowel mods you need to sing those notes, don't focus much on the words, on pronouncing the words.. focus on the easiest way to sing those vowels first, a way in which you don't have to shift from vowel to vowel abruptly, but following a path of least resistance. Ideally setting an Ah vowel in the back of the throat and sing everything from that AH openness, this helps you to not shift so suddenly from vowel to vowel.

Try a consonant-free version, vowels only, and do this just like you do your scales, with all the pointers you keep in mind while doing the scales, vowel mods included. Try to keep the breath for the whole phrase or for 2 phrases.. Do your best to control your breath better, without tensing your neck, and you will find everything becomes easier... This is not an easy range to sing since it's right there near the break..
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @DannyOc3an

Thanks for the advice, yes did feel I was losing control of the breath especially towards the end of the song. So easy sometimes to forget the basics, Ken’s always remembering us even in the more advanced exercises. I had just done vol 3 and couple attempts prior so tiredness may have played a part.

Now have listened back a few times could backed off the volume and tried to compress the air just to get control of the situation. In general I feel that I am progressing well and of course areas still to work on.

Will take on advice on board will re try this at a later date, on a backing track it was off putting Lewis talking during my performance 😆.

Kind regards

George

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi George, yeah i can imagine that his backing track would be distracting...

i think you need to work on those vowels mods, in the high part it sounds like you are straining and pushing when instead you could smoothly roll up there. maybe practice the high parts in isolation to get a grasp of it. i notice that when the vowel mods don't come naturally, it is a huge help to memorize the part of the lyric and "lock it" with the correct mod in your memory. also, you are pretty heavy on the consonants, maybe also try to brush over them a bit more
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    Hi @Klaus_T

Firstly congrats on getting moderator badge it’s really good help out in the KTVA forum and I do help occasionally help when I have time.

Yes it’s all about that vocal placement definitely something gonna work at, now started the head voice workouts getting those notes correctly should get easier in time. It’s good that both @DannyOc3an and yourself noticed the consonants that’s something I hadn’t noticed and will work on that area.

Thanks for your input much appreciated!

Vocality
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    thanks man!

cool, keep up the good work