Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Newbie and a question

MayaJayMayaJay 2.0 PRO Posts: 17
edited July 2021 in INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Hey everyone. I'm excited to be here. I haven't had much instruction. I took a year of choir in HS but it was not good training. My parents always hung around musicians and mom played a little guitar and then I married a musician 28 years ago who taught me some guitar chords (just like that Tom Petty song :p ) and so I've written and recorded a few songs with a lot of help from his talent and skill and sang a song here and there with his bands. We are getting older and through the covid thing his band struggled and one of them is unable to continue so I am taking his place with the high harmonies and some lead vocals. Oh yeah... a relevant thing to mention; something like 5 or 6 years ago I was taking the bad advice from my HS choir teacher and trying to "sing over" a cold with no proper instruction on technique and I got vocal chords nodules! That scared the crap out of me. I can't "not sing". So anyway, that started my search for ways to sing the songs that I love without injuring my voice... research in the form of Google and YouTube. I heard a lot of different instructors that I picked up a couple of helpful tips from but I kept coming back to Ken's so we will see how it goes. I don't know how to label my experience... seasoned beginner?

Comments

• Options
    P.s. where would be the best place on the forum to post a song from a gig to get feedback on? I am dedicated to working through the lessons in the order that they are taught but it would also be really helpful to have someone point out things that would help my problem areas while I am building from the beginning. Thank you.
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi, great to hear you found this course, you have definitely come to the right place!

where to post:
    https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/categories/newbies-demo-area
    or
    https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/categories/vocal-demonstrations

i suggest you also post the magic two LAH scales (bridging and stretching) for review, because it is the benchmark test for this course.

if you have nodules, Ken has this voice repair course, maybe an idea to look into this one? i am not sure if it is necessary, i am not a doctor. i bought it because there was an introduction offer, but thankfully i didn't need to use it so far. honestly, if you do the exercises (from the course you already own) very lightly, that might be fine too, but again, i am not sure.
  • Options
    Thank you. I don't have nodules any more. It was somewhere around 5 years ago. I went to the dr and got a scope. I am a counselor and he actually filed paperwork for medical leave so I could rest my voice because I need it for work and for singing both. It brought awareness though of the amount of strain , tension, etc I was holding. Anyway, thanks again. Thank goodness I no longer need the repair option.