Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS
Options

Belting

KalingaKalinga Member Posts: 5
After singing high, specially after belting, is it normal that it's a bit harder to sing in falsetto straightaway. Normally I have to warm up my falsetto a few minutes after belting to get falsetto right again. Thank you!

Answers

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited July 2021
    not sure, maybe it means you are not properly warmed up across all registers in the first place? maybe someone more advanced can help...

@bentk @highmtn @jaclynser
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    It all depends on the breath control you are using when belting.

If you are hitting your vocal cords hard with a lot of pressure, your cords will swell, and that will affect your falsetto.

Try warming up first, and belting more gently, in general.
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Agree with Bob here completely. I am also familiar with losing some of my head voice range after singing a while.

You need to control your air flow and support well. Using too much force and 'blasting' the vocal cords too much can result in loss of range. Even a little too much over a certain length of time can be detrimental.
  • Options
    bentk said:

Agree with Bob here completely. I am also familiar with losing some of my head voice range after singing a while.

You need to control your air flow and support well. Using too much force and 'blasting' the vocal cords too much can result in loss of range. Even a little too much over a certain length of time can be detrimental.

Thank you! Is it okay to warm up straightaway when you wake up?
  • Options
    highmtn said:

It all depends on the breath control you are using when belting.

If you are hitting your vocal cords hard with a lot of pressure, your cords will swell, and that will affect your falsetto.

Try warming up first, and belting more gently, in general.

Thank you! But here's the problem, in one of Ken's warm up videos, he mentioned that professional warmups can hurt you voice and I understand what he meant by that so what exactly we should do when we wake up if not a warm up? I can sing rock songs but I'm a bit inclined towards pop because I think that genre suits my voice better.
  • Options
    Klaus_T said:

not sure, maybe it means you are not properly warmed up across all registers in the first place? maybe someone more advanced can help...

@bentk @highmtn @jaclynser

Thank you.
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Of course you can start to warm up after waking up! As long as you are warming up correctly, with good technique.
    That is all taught in the course material, and some of it in Ken's youtube tutorials.

If you start to warm up just after waking up you might need a little longer because of the 'morning voice'. At least, for me this is true. If i have to warm up in the morning, I like to spend some extra time on the gentle warm up exercises.
  • Options
    bentk said:

Of course you can start to warm up after waking up! As long as you are warming up correctly, with good technique.
    That is all taught in the course material, and some of it in Ken's youtube tutorials.

If you start to warm up just after waking up you might need a little longer because of the 'morning voice'. At least, for me this is true. If i have to warm up in the morning, I like to spend some extra time on the gentle warm up exercises.

Thank you!