Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!

How to warm up your voice before a gig when travelling and time schedules are tight before the show?

Hi, I've been doing KTVA for 3 years (I'm currently on Volume 3) and I know it's ALWAYS best to warm your voice up before singing, ideally by doing the KTV A audio workouts.

In the Volume 1 pdf, Ken says 'always warm up about 1 hour before a show, leaving only 15 - 30 mins before you sing'. This would mean that the warm up lasts 30 - 45 mins, so which workout of which volume should we do before the gig? The audio workouts for Volume 3 take about 1hr 15mins and then we're suppose to rest for 15 - 30 mins. So including setting up equipment, I'd need to arrive at the venue about 2.5 - 3 hours before the show, which is not always practical.

I've done a lot of gigs and often there is not enough time to warm up before the gig. Or there is nowhere in the venue to do the warm ups (many small venues don't even have a dressing room). Often the band will arrive at the venue, set up the equipment, do a soundcheck then it's straight into the show. Or if we arrive early, where can the warm up be done?

How do other singers here get round these problems?

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I'm not in a band, but if I warm up to record I do volume 2 ( or any of the workouts that aren't taxing) and I remember that it's a warm up not an exercise so I don't push my belting to the max so I save gas for my performance.

As to where, the only thing I can recommend is in your bands car, sitting isn't ideal but is way better than nothing. Even just 15mins is better than nothing. Check out the pre singing warmup video with Jordana in the pro video section of the forum.
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I warm up for 15-20 mins before hand at home and then if I need in my truck closer to time. I generally do vol two scales I,2,10,16 and one or two random scales or a song or two that are lower and easy
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    And maybe depending if I feel like I need to check myself I may touch on some higher parts of a song or two just to check myself and how I feel
  • michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 251
    I believe the advice doesn't need to be taken so literally. After 3 years of singing almost daily one could know their voice enough to determine what exercises and how much are needed to get you warmed up for a vocal performance. I listen to what my body is telling me and use the tools at hand. Since I'm just getting into volume 2 I use Volume 1 exercises (lip roll, tongue, and AH) then sing a song I've been practicing.
  • SarahBSarahB 2.0 PRO Posts: 3
    edited December 2021
    I warm up for 30 minutes at least before I arrive at a gig, and I try not to have more than 10 minutes between warm up and arrival. Sometimes, that means I warm up in the car while I’m driving. Then, after set up, I use the ladies and do a few simple scales to “reheat” (that’s what I call it) and ignore the funny looks I get. I try to make sure the first few songs of the set are easier and can be used to warm up. I have a song that I sing when I feel I’m fully warm (“She’s Got You”—it’s a classic rock/classic country band) If it goes well, I’m ready to rock. If it’s rough, I know I need to sing a few more lower songs before I can hit my power ballads. Of course, this only works if you’re in a band with flexible members. Some days are better than others.