Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
Options

Please give feedback

Hello, I've never taken a course before just listen to some breathing videos on Youtube. I'm having a hard time trying to mix my voice instead of pulling chest. You can hear my cracks approaching my bridge. I also need tips reduce sounding nasal or monotone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzUhV9Vxfyw

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi, you have a nice sound to your voice. for the goals you have, you need to start working on your voice. which is a near-daily regimen of scales. when i first discovered Ken's course, i was also looking for tips and tricks, for example on youtube. when I heard Ken say that there aren't any tricks and it is just hard work, at first i was like, no way, i don't want to do an hour of singing every day for years, i want to know how to do it NOW. but then i realized, nearly a year later, that he was right and i was just looking for an easy shortcut that does not exist. so then i started to work out with the free videos. the regimen i did, you can find it if you go on my profile page, and you can then do the same thing and "demo" the course by doing it for a few weeks. it helped me improve, even with the free videos, and so i got the course. and it works, and i get better week by week. it's a long-term thing though, expect about 2-3 years to get a good grasp of the concepts. yes it sounds like a lot, but it has to do with muscles that just don't react to shortcuts, they need training! i encourage you to start these exercises, you would not believe how interesting the journey is once you commit to it. you can also make use of this forum as a learning resource that will help you grow, so keep asking questions. to answer your questions more specifically:

first we need to train to get a robust chest voice and smooth out the passagio (transition from chest to head voice), before we can attempt to mix. if you don't have a balanced exercise regimen, you will atrophy your chest voice by attempting mixed voice too early. the cracks in your voice come from the fact that you have never trained to sing through the bridge smoothly. you also need to understand good support for both mixing and smooth bridging. not sounding monotone, i guess that disappears by itself, if you have a well trained voice, it will not sound monotone. you will also learn more about pitch and being on key by doing the exercises. the nasality will be corrected when you learn more about placement and the bright ping. in the video you posted, you use a lot of air in your sound, which you can cut down by learning about support. make sure to read on this forum to learn more about these things, and again, ask what you need to know!
  • Options
    hillj151hillj151 Member Posts: 6
    Klaus_T said:

hi, you have a nice sound to your voice. for the goals you have, you need to start working on your voice. which is a near-daily regimen of scales. when i first discovered Ken's course, i was also looking for tips and tricks, for example on youtube. when I heard Ken say that there aren't any tricks and it is just hard work, at first i was like, no way, i don't want to do an hour of singing every day for years, i want to know how to do it NOW. but then i realized, nearly a year later, that he was right and i was just looking for an easy shortcut that does not exist. so then i started to work out with the free videos. the regimen i did, you can find it if you go on my profile page, and you can then do the same thing and "demo" the course by doing it for a few weeks. it helped me improve, even with the free videos, and so i got the course. and it works, and i get better week by week. it's a long-term thing though, expect about 2-3 years to get a good grasp of the concepts. yes it sounds like a lot, but it has to do with muscles that just don't react to shortcuts, they need training! i encourage you to start these exercises, you would not believe how interesting the journey is once you commit to it. you can also make use of this forum as a learning resource that will help you grow, so keep asking questions. to answer your questions more specifically:

first we need to train to get a robust chest voice and smooth out the passagio (transition from chest to head voice), before we can attempt to mix. if you don't have a balanced exercise regimen, you will atrophy your chest voice by attempting mixed voice too early. the cracks in your voice come from the fact that you have never trained to sing through the bridge smoothly. you also need to understand good support for both mixing and smooth bridging. not sounding monotone, i guess that disappears by itself, if you have a well trained voice, it will not sound monotone. you will also learn more about pitch and being on key by doing the exercises. the nasality will be corrected when you learn more about placement and the bright ping. in the video you posted, you use a lot of air in your sound, which you can cut down by learning about support. make sure to read on this forum to learn more about these things, and again, ask what you need to know!

Hi Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it. I've been trying to do the "wah" exercises to help cross my bridge. Am I doing it correctly? Is this heady/chesty mix or just pulling chest up again?
    https://vocaroo.com/1oSYcy9WKTua
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    where is the "wah" exercise from? it is definitely not an exercise from KTVA. so I am not sure what the idea of the exercise is, but i can hear a cracking sound/yodel in the first pass. i think you go into head voice, but not smoothly. try to avoid the crack
  • Options
    hillj151hillj151 Member Posts: 6
    Klaus_T said:

where is the "wah" exercise from? it is definitely not an exercise from KTVA. so I am not sure what the idea of the exercise is, but i can hear a cracking sound/yodel in the first pass. i think you go into head voice, but not smoothly. try to avoid the crack

I got it from the worship vocalist free videos. It was to get a crying quality to blend the registers smoothly. Even though I def heard a flip into my head voice/falsetto. I'll keep practicing with kens videos and other videos.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    yeah this is not how Ken teaches it. you are of course free to do any exercises you want, i just can't say much about their value. and Ken suggests to check other stuff at the door to avoid confusion and let his method do its magic :)

imagine this as learning several languages at the same time! not as effective as focusing on one at a time

if you crack, reduce the volume. the passagio (where the registers meet) needs to grow and become stronger. in the beginning, it likely can't take much volume at all (much less than you would expect). so keep that in mind, keep it soft, less is more here! be patient it will get stronger.

all of this is long-term muscle exercise, so don't expect big leaps after a few sessions, but if you do this consistently, it will add up, and in a few weeks/months/years WILL have huge effects, and the longer you keep at it the better it gets