Home Recording Techniques and Gear
Options

Questions on preparing a recording session

So this Friday I am going to a studio to record vocals for my bands Ep which will probably take all day. I was wondering if I should take that Thursday off to prepare my voice for the next day? My other questions have to do with how to sustain my voice to record all day? And how much I should warm up before recording, how long before, and if I should do a cool down after recording? Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    you will have to pace it somehow according to your needs and "fitness". make sure you do the less demanding/heavy stuff first, so as to not accidentally oversing. be especially careful not to oversing on this day, and take rests when (or ideally before) you need them. you need to warm up properly, and ideally not have your voice cool down in a break for longer than 20-30 mins. if there is such a gap, do some light scales every 15 minutes or so, to not cool down too much. the next day you will need to do a very gentle cool down session, especially if you did oversing accidentally.

whether you need the thursday off or not, it is your call i guess. don't overdo it the day before though.

and remember the voice has a built-in "biological clock". if you normally start singing in the afternoon, you might want to warm up the next few days at the time you start on Friday, to get used to the time shift. if that works at all with your schedule

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I know its past the date, but have a look in the pro video section of the forum and go into Jordanas lessons and watch pre singing workout and warmup. How did your recording session go?
  • Options
    AndrewLenghelAndrewLenghel 2.0 PRO Posts: 23
    Very well! I actually managed to get some distortion for the first time (hopefully proper distortion)