Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

How long after warm-up is the voice "warm" ?

What would your advice be? I am not very seasoned. I try to do 2-7 hours per day, but a lot of other things come in the way. So I will have to do it in segments some days. My current warm-up takes about 45-50 minutes.
How much time of being quiet or speaking on the phone etc can elapse before a new warm-up routine is recommended? As a general rule of thumb I mean. Or does a thorough morning warm-up last the entire day?
Would be good to know what experience others have, so I don't go straight out and hurt myself.

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited August 2021
    it lasts for about 30 mins, if you haven't started singing then, you will start to cool down and have to start again
  • Options
    INFJINFJ 2.0 PRO Posts: 92
    Thanks Klaus! I will incorporate that in the schedule then.
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited August 2021
    i was wondering myself if the second warmup of the day could be a bit shorter, since i end up having to do that a lot too. i would assume there is also a difference between the best warmup for reaching your full potential in the singing session vs. the minimum warmup to avoid damaging the voice. maybe some others can add their view on this. i usually end up doing a shorter warmup the secondt ime round (before band practice), not because i know it is good practice but just because it is not really practical for me to do the full hour after i got to the room and everyone is waiting for me. i kind of do that at my own risk ;)
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    If I do my scales in the morning, I still can notice the difference if I wait until night to sing. It takes about half an hr to an hr get back my singing voice. Its like anything, your body has a cool down period and depending how much energy you've spent it can get warm again quite quick. If your workout was a very demanding one then dont expect to have full strength afterwards.