Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

how to avoid being hungry while doing vocal workouts for hours?

i do vocal training for about 3 hours.i do volume 3 and volume 4 everyday.i now have to move on to volume 5 so i want to do 4 hours but i get really hungry after 2 hours.

Answers

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    How long have you been doing the course for? Remember Ken makes quite a point of making sure you aren't over taxing your voice if you are starting out. I strongly suggest posting some scales in the student area of a basic ah scale, once bridging and once chest stretching to have a base line for your progress.

As for how to stop being hungry, I guess low GI carbs that are slow energy release and heaps of water is the way to go.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    i sometimes have to eat just before practice, not that it is recommended, but sometimes it just is what it is with a busy life and fitting everything in. i suggest you try light food, or a smoothie, ideally before you notice you get too hungry.

you will be able to figure out what you can handle, and then just work with it. nuts, dates, fruit, carrot sticks, just a few examples of little snacks you could have in short breaks during practice, you won't get too full or bloated, but have something to burn.
  • LindseyBeanLindseyBean 2.0 PRO Posts: 160
    edited September 2021
    If you want to do vol 3+4+5 at once maybe try alternating days.
    My usual routine is about 2 hours of scales. I go through vol 3 (each scale 2x) then I do a bit of volume 4 and mix in the sliding scales from vol 5. But if I really want to focus on a certain part of my voice then I'll just do vol 3 then alternate between 4 and 5 depending on the day.
    Your voice will be shot by the end of a couple of hours. Whenever I try to sing after warming up for over 2+ hours, my voice just doesn't work as well and it's hard to match pitch when singing because I'm just so worn out. Keep in mind though that if you were singing in a show for 2+ hours you would be super tired after. Warming up that long can have the same effect. Cut yourself some slack :) Slow and steady wins the race.

Also for eating, you are burning a ton of calories while singing. I burn about 200-250 depending on how long I practice for. So keep in mind you are getting a vocal and body workout so it's understandable to be hungry after. Listen to your body and take it slow :)