Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
Options

Who uses in ear monitors here?

Hey, so I play in a 4 piece rock band (I'm the lead singer, guitarist/keyboard player) and we're looking at trying in ear monitors as we've heard good things about them. I know how to set them up but I was just wondering if anyone here uses them and what your experiences have been? Which particular brand and model of in ear monitors do you use?

Comments

• Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    That’s funny I just ordered a set of psm300s and found out yesterday they’re on back order. I can’t offer any insight as a performer but I do sound for a lot of bands at clubs and any performers who have started using them have never gone back to wedges. Even the most stubborn old school performers that have made the leap seem to stay with iems
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    I've used them for rehearsals and work really well for me. I have some Fender brand IEMs. It protects your hearing to a certain extent and work well when you can dial your own mix (or have someone do this for you). I really want to hear myself clearly, and this does the job very well.

It is a good idea to have a limiter when using IEMs, especially when not everyone else is using IEMs. A sudden spike in sound (e.g. feedback) or mic drop can really hurt your ears. A limiter can prevent these heavy spikes happening in your IEMs. I like having a little amp on my belt or something which has an integrated limiter. That way you can also dial the volume.

A little personal mixing/amp can give you even more options.
  • Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    My psm300s are supposed to ship today...fingers crossed
  • Options
    birdcherrybirdcherry Pro Posts: 32
    in-ear monitors were my best investment into gear so far. I sing in a heavy metal band and was really struggling to hear myself during rehearsals back in the days. They are awesome from any point of view. I have T.bone IEM 75 with SURE headphones (because ones that goes with the set aren't really good)