Homeโ€บ Off Topic

DEALING WITH HATERS? ๐Ÿ˜

JDESTAJDESTA 2.0 PRO Posts: 14
edited September 2021 in Off Topic
So i have recently just done a cover of a song. Some people have said that i sound good, others say i sound terrible. Tbh it has hurt my confidence a little, but i don't want to give up. How do you guys deal with hate comments? Here is my collaboration cover that i was involved in. I am doing the rap parts in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxUZJlJa-sw&ab_channel=AlexMcMillan

Answers

• bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    You're putting yourself out there and doing a very good job here. I am not saying that to just make you feel better, I think it sounds really good. I have listened to LP's first two albums so many times as a child/teenager. This was a very enjoyable performance on all fronts.

How many of those haters are putting content out, or really know what they are talking about? I haven't really dealt with this myself, so I am not going to give you a lot of advice. You are doing a great job, and don't compare yourself too much with others. Keep working hard at your craft.

Comments that are simply hateful are just awful. They do make you feel bad. Try to learn from feedback (which can sound harsh at times) and keep moving forward.

You have a bit of an accent (not meant as criticism btw), where are you from? Australia?

There may be a few users here that have more experience with hate online/real life.

@Wigs @highmtn @doc_ramadani @Klaus_T may have some more to say on this :)

Keep it up man!
  • PaigeStormbladePaigeStormblade Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2021
    You know I don't hear nothing bad, you have a young voice. And as one said I'm not just saying it. I sang pro for years. I came back and felt I lost it all. No my voice was on vacation I sound butch as a woman. I don't care now what people got to say negative, I can belt out highs. I been using Ken's program. As Ken and CJ Snare has said who cares what mouth the song is coming from, if it's being rocked. Ken has told me I have the rock voice.

I'm not a fan of LP but you all did great. You held tune you held keys on tone. You used the push proper. we as musicians will deal with critics try not to let it get you all twisted.

Even us pro fail, this is why people like Ken is around. You think my boss XYZ's lead vox Terry Illous just belts out singing. .No he works his vocals. CJ Snare years of singing he can't hit the high so he compensates it by changes.

And truly Terry told me to stick with Ken's program. I actually sang for Terry the song inside out. I want to lead XYZ one day if still able. Terry liked my song. Cause of Ken I was able to show off to another alike in our sound.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Just like you having hatters so do I, people assume I'm a man when they hear me. . I still keep going. Heck I have majors that are my fans.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    This is a good collaborative production. It's quality work, and all of the contributors to the piece should be proud of their part, and of the group effort as a whole.

Congratulations on doing something worthwhile. I watched and listened to the whole thing and saw and heard only good. I enjoyed the experience.

So sad that anonymous cowards on the internet take pleasure in hurting the feelings of total strangers, and for no good reason. When you become aware of trolls and haters, you just have to move on and forget about them. They want you to feel bad, so don't give them that satisfaction. Focus on what you are doing right, and keep doing more of that to continue getting better. Know that some lack the capacity to show appreciation or love to others, and you can't fix them. So focus on what you love in life, and keep pursuing it.
  • PaigeStormbladePaigeStormblade Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2021
    I like your reply high I'm mobile but wish I could offer more if I ca. I have been teased till I met Courtney Haden vocals. she was me growing up people made fun of us sounding malish when we sang. Ken up lifted me and I hope I can do the same for others. Thanks love your post. ROCK ON!

My fist audition was by gnr sweet child in front of a crowd. we all do that rather using vid or just audio so always know nerves and critics can be overcome.

https://youtu.be/CFLXxqoapPY
  • JDESTAJDESTA 2.0 PRO Posts: 14
    Thank you @bentk for checking out the video, I really appreciate the advice. Yep from Australia ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บMy accent is more apparent when i rap for some reason haha. KTVA has helped me a lot this past year and has given me the confidence to try something like this. Thanks for the positive vibes and keeping it real ๐Ÿ’ฏ, i will keep pushing myself to be better.
    Thank you so much @highmtn for taking the time to watch the entire video, i'm glad you enjoyed the overall production ๐Ÿ™. Everyone involved did a great job. It is frustrating when you work on something so hard, then a random person will just hate not knowing how much effort went in to it.. Nonetheless you have provided great advice, i will continue to pursue my passion.

The positive feedback from everyone here is really appreciated and has helped regain my confidence.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042

Im an Aussie and could hear your accent a mile away haha :smile:

If I receive a negative comment that doesnt give me something helpful to improve or focus on, I smile! How you approach them has as much effect as you let it.

Negative comments aren't always bad, its all about if it is helpful. If the comment doesn't help you or says something like you suck, we can all say yeah they are just jealous, they dont really know what goes into a project like this, they are just trolls ect. In reality we have no idea what they are really trying to do with out context, so I ignore them, and move onto the next comment to see if there is something I can learn.

Not everyone is going to like what you do either. Be ok with, that focus on your enjoyment of what you do and the other people that enjoy what you do. Even being an Aussie myself, I dont like to listen to Aussie rap, its just not for me. If that is the way you rap or sing, keep doing it.

There is a saying that if you go to a bad restaurant you will tell 9 people, if its good, you'll only tell 2 or 3. Its much easier to bring something down rather than support it, so this means however many negative comments you have, that's all there is. However the amount of people that are positive about you are potentially more than 3 fold, they just didn't comment.

There was a tremendous amount of effort put into this video, I know how long it takes to mix my own vocal to a karaoke track and put it to video. It can take me a whole day, never mind what you have done with different locations, instruments and getting all the right video to try and sync everything up. Its 95% polished to something fully professional to my amateur ears.

Keep it up mate, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!
    G'day @Wigs Thanks mate! Appreciate the advice. Good to see a fellow Aussie on here! Yep a lot went in to this one. I don't listen to Aussie rap either, even at the best of times haha. I do find it is easier to rap with my accent. When i sing however, i find it easier to not make my accent as apparent, which i much prefer.

Hopefully KTVA can continue to help development my singing (Currently on Volume 2) to the point where i won't have to rap too much haha. Nonetheless i still had fun with this one ๐Ÿ™‚
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @JDESTA

This cover sounds great to me, for whatever reason youโ€™ll always get a few people that want to bring us down and if thereโ€™s no constructive criticism present the chances are itโ€™s not valid.

When you watch great covers on YouTube there will always be thumbs down and we canโ€™t please everyone.

If you on volume 2 your voice will continue to grow, but your in a great position so far and look forward to hearing future covers.

Vocality
    Thank you @Vocality. I will keep working at it, Voulme 2 has been challenging, but i am steadily improving. It has been a great learning experience with learning how to deal with criticism. Hopefully i will get to post some more covers soon :)
  • pgroendespgroendes Member Posts: 2
    I had an art teacher tell me once that in all the artists in the world, there will be people more advanced and less advanced than you. And that went for all the artists, everywhere.
    The haters have issues that have nothing to do with you-or music for that matter. Just keep learning and growing.
    The world needs you!