Home Vocal Health and Wellness

The corners of my mouth keep on splitting

I've been having this specific problem for a few months now, where the corners of my mouth keep on splitting. It's really annoying, because I feel like I can't spread the pharynx enough to get to the right tone of some songs, just because the corners of my mouth hurt.
I'm not sure about the cause exactly.. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
I feel that applying lip balm before singing helps a bit.. but only a bit..

I'm almost considering to cut my mouth open like the Joker, so I won't feel the barrier anymore.. XD

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    This is likely a hydration thing or the environment you are is could be very cold or dry. My lips get quite dry in the winter so I use more lip balm. Usually its a good idea to let the wound fully heal, if you just keep putting balm on the open wound and singing stretching the skin in the corners of your mouth, the wound will stay open for a lot longer.
  • NinaSTNinaST 2.0 PRO Posts: 91
    @Wigs
    I just went to the doctor for this, because I've been having this problem for months and I've never had this problem before and she actually looked at me like I'm a mentally deranged person... She was like: "Are you really worried about this?" I said: "Not really, but I sing everyday, it's a big deal if I miss out on my trainings this often." And then she said: "Why are you singing this much?"
    She gave me a prescribtion for a chap stick, which I've already been using... I had better stayed at home. :/

Anyway, I'm just super frustrated right now. XD I'm currently missing out on 5 days of training every 2 weeks or so. Whenever it heals, it just comes back. Since the doctor can't give me a cause or solution, I don't know what else to do...
    The rest of my lips are always in perfect condition, so I doubt it's only dehydration.
    I personally think it's because the corners of my mouth are a little downturned and saliva tends to get stuck there.
    I think some sort of injectibles might be able to lift the corners of my mouth a bit, but that's something I won't use before careful consideration, but yeah.. I can't talk to my doctor about it. XD (I can see why she thinks I'm exaggerating, but has she never met an ambitious person before?)
  • LindseyBeanLindseyBean 2.0 PRO Posts: 160
    omg I had this problem too and never knew why. Apparently when I sleep I drool a bit and it gets in the corners of the mouth and creates those scars. I just put vaseline on whenever this happens.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    you could also try Lanolin