Home Off Topic

Soundproofing apartment

NinaSTNinaST 2.0 PRO Posts: 91
Hi dudes and divas!

I'm looking for an apartment in the city, because I got a new job. (In the sales department of a music chain store whoohoo!!)

Anyway, I would like to install a small home studio/rehearsal space in my future apartment, but I don't know how to make sure I won't bother my neighbours. (I sing very loud btw.)
I was thinking about getting a top floor appartment, so I can put a thick carpet over the floor, which might be enough for the downstrairs neighbours. And put some sound absorbing panels against the wall.
Will this be sufficient? Or does anyone have some other ideas? I'll be renting the place, so I won't be able to make drastic changes.

(Btw. I sing a lot, so I really want to be able to practice at home. :) plus, I'm getting a discount on all musical equipment, whiii! So I really want to use this opportunity to build a home studio. :) )

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Properly soundproofing an entire space as you might have already seen from doing some research is quite difficult and gets expensive. I think you should look more towards creating a small purpose built space like a vocal booth or hang heaps of really thick blankets around you as you sing. Even then the neighbours are likely still going to hear you a bit, but hopefully they are accommodating.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    One of the best solutions is a room within a room. That can get expensive. Since you are renting, that is out of the question.

What also matters is the building itself. Modern buildings in my country tend to have a lot of thick concrete. This already dampens so much sound, which is excellent. I have never had a complaint from someone in the complex where I live, and I tend to thank the concrete structure for that. I've lived here for years!

Definitely look into some soundproofing solutions, as there are several things you can do and they vary in costs. Perhaps look for something you can take with you again some day. The music chain where you are going to work might be able to help you with it?

Also, if you sing at acceptable times and your neighbour can only vaguely hear you, you might be able to communicate about that with them. For example, I don't mind hearing some sound from the neighbours, as long as I can't literally understand what they are saying etc. lol.

• DannyOc3anDannyOc3an 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 668
    I second the vocal booth option, and I've seen there are also some small booths that cover your head only, and I've seen good reviews on those as far as practice singing where a bigger investment is not an option
    Also, try to see if your practice time will really cause disturbance, sometimes we may find ourselves too worried when if you seek for some feedback from neighbors maybe it is not an issue for them
  • NinaSTNinaST 2.0 PRO Posts: 91
    Hi everyone!

I'm sorry for the super late reply and thank you all for your advice!
    I've been quite busy looking for an apartement and moving, but now I am finally settled. :)
    Fortunately I found a good space where I can sing. :) The wall between me and my neighbor on the left is super thick, there are like 3 rooms between my rehearsal room and my neighbor on the right. The room below me is my neighbor's bedroom, so she isn't there during the day anyway and my apartment is on the top floor. :) I don't think I could have found a better space than this. :)

The only problem is that there is a ton of reverb. And with my bright tone the sound gets way too penetrating. I think I'm just going to apply some studiofoam on the shared wall of my neighbor like this: https://www.thomann.de/be/auralex_acoustics_2_studiofoam_wedges_purple.htm
    I hope that will diminish the last bit of sound leaking through and reduce the ridiculous amount of reverb.

I have considered the vocal booth option and even found a cheap way to make it myself. But I don't think I'd be comfortable spending heaps of time in such a small, dark space.

@DannyOc3an Yeah, that's probably the main issue now. I'd be a bit embarrased to talk with my neighbors about it. Cuz you know, practice is practice. It doesn't always sound good. And it's hard to let myself go if I think someone can hear me.