Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!

How to set the volume while rehearsing with the band ?

As I'm intending to (re-)form a rock band, I'm wondering how to make sure I won't kill myself trying to be heard over the band. Back in the time when I used to play bass in a rock band, I remember the lead singer's efforts to be heard cost him his voice. I sincerely regret it went that way but I don't want it to turn true for me too.
So how do you make sure you're not straining to much on rehearsal and get your bandmates turn down the potentiometers ?
Thanks

Best Answers

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    Answer ✓
    you just need to be louder than all of them, and i mean because of the amplifier, not because of you screaming! or, they all need to be softer than you ;)
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Answer ✓
    Make them turn down to wherever you are comfortable
  • PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
    Answer ✓
  • codeowlcodeowl 2.0 PRO Posts: 305
    Answer ✓
    @PhMarne,

I jam with a couple of guys at work, a drummer and bass player, (I play guitar and sing), our drummer actually has an electronic kit so he can turn down :-). I had the same concerns as you and in this post I talk about my solution for it:
    https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/comment/84476/#Comment_84476

Regards,

Scotty
  • tsterletsterle Member Posts: 8
    Answer ✓
    I've had this issue as do many rock singers. With a full acoustic drum kit, most drummers do not have the ability to play anything but very loud. One solution is to build a plexiglass partition around the drummer, or have them use sticks that soften the sound. You can also try to stand as far away as possible and have a monitor, on a stand, at ear level right next to you so you can hear yourself well. But the best is either electronic drums or an in-ear monitor system. You can get a good one for $200. While the band needs to hear you somewhat, it's much more important for you to be able to hear yourself well, so you don't over-sing and damage your voice.
  • tsterletsterle Member Posts: 8
    Answer ✓
    I should add, when the drummer plays very loud then that makes everyone else turn up their amps. It can get stupidly loud in the room to where your ears are ringing afterward and that will lead to tinnitus and hearing loss eventually. So the IEM helps protect your hearing as well. But ear plugs are another option. Sometimes it's enough to just hear your voice inside your head.
  • Dewy69Dewy69 3.0 Streaming Posts: 35
    Answer ✓
    In ear monitors are a voice saver for sure in a louder band. Also, we had a good singer once but she needed to be extremely loud in her monitor. It was just too loud for us. We were not a loud band and had edrums too. So stage level was not a problem. We convinced her to go in ear (wasnt difficult to convince) and everyone was happier. I use them now in a different band. And its the best way to hear yourself. Sometimes, I only use one so I have an ear open to the ambient sound, but have one with my vocal clear and as loud as I like.