Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Making backing vocals singing the chords the band is playing.

Hi, dear people at KTVA.
I've been watching the videos on how to record vocals cos I'm recording some of my own stuff for the 1st time as a performer and recording "technician."
Ken explains a technique to do backing vocals that consists in singing the triad that make the chords the band is playing and leaving the lead vocals traffic across these chords made by the voices. He explains this gives the illusion the backing vocalists are singin in 3rds or fifths but it sounds bigger and different to just following the leading melody by singing 3rds.
I think I understand the concept but I'm not sure how to apply it. Could you please provide one o two examples of songs that have this type o backing vocals?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 4,834
    I watched those videos a while ago and remember a little about arranging harmonies and backing vocals. I dont know which songs use this technique, but in the meantime if you have the time, try and record your vocals with all of Kens tips and when in post production you can add play around with which sounds best.
  • @Wigs I understand your point but the thing is that I don't know if I have to just sing the chords as a backing cushion of just one long note or give it rythm or if I have to go along with the melody somehow. Trying all this and see if it works takes lots and lots of hours of work, time which I don't have. I barely have time to do the workouts and now record a bit every week. I'd be very grateful if you could ask sb else about my question.
    Thank you for anwsering
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 4,834
    Well I take it then that he means singing to the same chords as the melody. @highmtn can you give any clarification?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,255
    No, you don't try to do the melody. You do whole tones (whole notes) in chords.

The point is that the background singers are not singing harmonic melodies. They are sustaining and creating chords while the main lead voice is free to move about with the melody.

I don't have specific examples of this to cite.
  • KarenSingsKarenSings 2.0 PRO Posts: 80
    What lesson is this in? I'd like to leap ahead and watch it.
  • sebastiancelesnersebastiancelesner Pro Posts: 90
    @KarenSings This is in one of the pro packs "How to record your vocals". Don't remember if it it's in course 1.0 or 2.0 or if it is in both. If still in doubt, ask me. Now I can't check thoroughly.
  • KarenSingsKarenSings 2.0 PRO Posts: 80
    Found it. Course 2, Pro Pack 3 lesson 1