Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Does practicing cause anatomical changes?

I've asked this question to many people, but I never get a straightforward answer: by practicing scales and singing songs does a person change the anatomy of their voice box (and associated mechanisms)? To put it another way, I'm wondering if practicing scales is like lifting weights to build muscle or stretching to improve limberness.

I just cannot figure out if the voice is like a guitar, where it stays exactly the same but your ability to play improves, or if it's more like a muscle, where you literally change your anatomy to do things that were physically impossible before.

Please help with this! Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    it is like a muscle.

you will actually train muscles and the ability to coordinate them. also stretching will happen
  • GreasyDreamsGreasyDreams Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2022
    Klaus_T said:

it is like a muscle.

you will actually train muscles and the ability to coordinate them. also stretching will happen

Thank you! To me that makes it a lot more clear what I should be doing and why I should do it.

For instance when people discuss gaining a wider vocal range, I didn't know if that was by somehow developing coordination that let the vocal folds vibrate faster, or whether it was about stretching and musculature. In terms of pitch I have such a low cut-off point, even in falsetto, that I was worried I was genetically incapable of ever attaining a wide range.

Maybe this seems obvious to you guys, but for some reason no one else I've asked ever gave me a straightforward answer.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited January 2022
    glad i could clear it up for you. yes you can learn it too, and grow your range.

you can check my profile page for a routine from Ken's free videos and a description how to do it.

without a regular workout, nothing will happen. just like in any sport or skill, but then, everyone who puts in the time will get results
  • GreasyDreamsGreasyDreams Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2022
    Klaus_T said:

glad i could clear it up for you. yes you can learn it too, and grow your range.

you can check my profile page for a routine from Ken's free videos and a description how to do it.

without a regular workout, nothing will happen. just like in any sport or skill, but then, everyone who puts in the time will get results

Wow, that's very helpful! So you've found this regiment works well?

I actually cut up instructional videos and make them into scale exercises. So (after watching them all the way through) I'll do it with these videos and get it all set up for easy repetition.

By the way, do you recommend resting once a week? In most workouts they recommend one or two rest days a week for recovery and muscle growth.

Thank you again!