Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

COVID Recovery

Hello, Unfortunately last week I Came down with the COVID-19 Infection. And though my symptoms have greatly subsided It seems my voice hasn't quite recovered. Producing a sort of "Dark Croaky" sound Rather then a good "Bright" sound. Is this a Matter of simply Recovering and Waiting a while, Or Should I Continue to Practice?

Comments

• LindseyBeanLindseyBean 2.0 PRO Posts: 160
    (I'm not a doctor or medical professional) I'm like 99% sure I got omicron a few weeks ago (everywhere was out of tests so I didn't know for sure) but I took a few weeks off from practicing even after the symptoms (I had mainly stuffy nose and sore throat) went away. Take a week or two off if you can. Then come back and try the simpler workouts to see where you're at.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    sorry to hear, hope you recover fully soon. be careful and rather have too much rest than too little. any inflammation in the throat, and you should take a rest until it is gone. if you are unsure, treat it as if it is inflamed (=rest).

you could check Ken's advice on singing through a cold (there are videos on YT I believe, and maybe some as part of the course material), and then see if anything applies to you at your own risk, and/or check with a doctor to make sure you are not taking an "unnecessary" break, but i think unless you NEED to do gigs etc, err on the safe side and take a break anyway. get well soon!!!
  • DannyOc3anDannyOc3an 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 668
    edited January 2022
    You need to reduce inflammation first, before any attempt at singing. Trying to sing with inflammation is very counterproductive and can cause lesions. Then, if inflammation is well controlled, you may do some workouts AS LOW in volume as you can, while cutting back your air a lot, beginning with a lip drill, then some vowels, but very very gentle in volume. Also with a great control of air, let pass almost any air through your cords. Go as close to Fry as you can, with the least amount of power just barely enough to make the cords phonate. If your voice still isn't "there", you best bet will be to take several days off to rest and come back in maybe a week to try some

You may want to look into the Voice Repair Course Ken has out, you may have received a special offer for students only in your email some days ago, which expires by the end of the month. I got it since I'm currently dealing with Covid too, and it's just what you may need.
  • DannyS081502DannyS081502 2.0 PRO Posts: 11

You need to reduce inflammation first, before any attempt at singing. Trying to sing with inflammation is very counterproductive and can cause lesions. Then, if inflammation is well controlled, you may do some workouts AS LOW in volume as you can, while cutting back your air a lot, beginning with a lip drill, then some vowels, but very very gentle in volume. Also with a great control of air, let pass almost any air through your cords. Go as close to Fry as you can, with the least amount of power just barely enough to make the cords phonate. If your voice still isn't "there", you best bet will be to take several days off to rest and come back in maybe a week to try some

You may want to look into the Voice Repair Course Ken has out, you may have received a special offer for students only in your email some days ago, which expires by the end of the month. I got it since I'm currently dealing with Covid too, and it's just what you may need.

Unfortunately, Money is a very major factor when it comes to getting the course. However my voice is still there. My Aim was to restart the 2.0 Course on Jan 1st. But there have been major setbacks.
  • DannyOc3anDannyOc3an 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 668
    Well, be cool with it.. It happens.. Your singing journey will last you a life time, so have some rest, get well, get yourself checked, and when it feels appropriate, then go back to the course workouts :)