Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Are notes above A4 supposed to feel thin/weightless? + question about shaky straight tone notes

tm3916tm3916 3.0 Streaming Posts: 13
https://vocaroo.com/1knoXguF0B5f
I sometimes feel these notes are so thin that they get hard to control, particularly on straight tones, often they come out shaky like there is some weird vibrato I’m putting on which I’m not.

The notes themselves feel very easy when I found the placement , but they feel so thin and weightless, that I question whether or not the note is supported, every now and again I can sustain straight tone pretty evenly, but on occasion the notes get quite wobbly,
would appreciate some feedback.

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    It does sound like you can apply more support. A full A4 in chest is right on my second passagio and to stay in full chest it takes me full support and alot of concentrating not to break on the sound. I can bring my chest tone up to a C5/D5 so its a very chesty mix before needing to fully hand it off into my head voice. Yours doesn't sound too thin, but if its shaky and your voice wobbles or cracks while trying to sustain the note then you need to grow your support more.
  • Options
    tm3916tm3916 3.0 Streaming Posts: 13
    edited January 2022
    @Wigs, yeah I don't think the sound it self sounds too thin, but the feeling of the note internally feels very thin, similar to falsetto, I usually sing pretty held back, backing off on higher notes with not a lot of density in my sound, do you think it would be beneficial for me to practice with a fuller more solid sound while leaning into the sound instead of away from the sound
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    It all depends on what you are trying to do with your voice. Just remember if you are stronger than you need to be, you have more options. Keeping the chest voice strong with with good training means you can use it if you want but dont have to. Some soft songs have a single belted note in them, if you cant belt it, it may not suit the song.