Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Getting dryer while singing

So while practising, it starts out nice and clean but eventually, my sound eventually gets dryer and hoarser as I progress in my practising. Is this normal? What are the tell tale signs that my folds are drying (which I'm aware is bad)?

Thanks for any feedback :D

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited February 2022
    hi, are you staying hydrated? best to drink water at room temperature. if that's not the problem, you might also oversing (i.e. be too loud), and/or blast the cords with too much air. learning good support, breath control and cord closure would help you in this case. it could also be that your routine is too long or demanding for you at this time, in which case you could dial it back and work up to it
  • aernegyaernegy Member Posts: 7
    May i ask what do you mean by cord closure? Dont you want your vocal chords to be open?
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Ideal cord closure for practicing is a clean pure tone without any breathiness or grit/distortion. When you have good open throat, support, vowel placement, breath management, your voice should have a pinging quality to it. This is good cord closure and using this will help to safely grow your voice. During your practice, if you notice you aren't able to maintain clean tone, take a few minutes break then try again. If you are continually going breathy or going hoarse then stop, you should wrap up for the day. Pushing though this with a hoarse voice is going to ingrain bad habits and can possibly start to damage your voice.

If 5kms was your running goal and you one day finally did it, you dont think to yourself Ill run another 5km immediately because that will make me even better. You rest, recover, train again for sometime before setting a new personal best.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that makes sense. THanks for the advise!
    Alright follow up since open throat was mentioned: I've recently been experimenting with lifting my soft palette and I"m wondering, how often should I lift it? When should I lift it?