Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Help Sustaining This Note

Excuse the phone recording quality, but I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on holding these long notes in the bridge of this musical theater song. It's a very passionate/emotional song (big solo moment) so there's some intentional shakiness/head voice lightness in the context of the song.
But here's a clip of that area of the song. Normally when I go to sing it I feel fine and confident but right before the big note comes my whole body tenses up and starts getting nervous which makes my voice worse (in my opinion)
Please let me know any feedback or criticisms so I can work on this song more for a real cover. I've been working on it for over a year but still having trouble with the big notes.

(also sorry for the voice cracks right before the note)

Big note starts at 0:47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6VPSy1HOkM

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited March 2022
    i guess the way of thinking of it as the "big note" is maybe the key issue here. i am not an expert for this but other than giving the part a more neutral name, i would maybe isolate that part and practice it over and over so it becomes easy, and then you will also not see it as that tripping point anymore.
  • LindseyBeanLindseyBean 2.0 PRO Posts: 160
    edited March 2022
    @Klaus_T thanks! I've been practicing the song fully through each time. Maybe isolating that note like you said will help