Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Vocal Fry and Compression

stevie3204stevie3204 Member, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 4
FIRST COMMENT

In vocal fry, the vocal cords are short, thick and very loose. So the cords vibrate much slower and don't close nearly as tightly as they do in the other registers. These vibrations are so slow that you can literally hear the air bubbling through your vocal cords. And that's what creates that deep, creaky sound!

QUESTION

If I use vocal compression (hold back air) will that compression close the vocal cords (folds)?

SECOND COMMENT/QUESTION

I think my throat hoarseness is being caused by vocal fry and loose/open vocal cords. That is why I ask above if air compression will close the vocal cords when I do a fry. Otherwise, I can't figure out why my throat is horsed all the time. Any clue?

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    the thing is, Ken teaches compression AFTER we learn how to keep an open throat. the feeling of closing the throat and compression are so similar that it can be easy to confuse. we learn open throat technique first.

you might be correct and the hoarseness stems from a lack of good cord closure, and too much air passing the cords because of that. practicing with the bright ping helps to learn good closure, and might solve your issue.