Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

"Gravity" cover 3.5 years into KTVA

Here's a phone recording while playing the karaoke track on the computer. Sorry for the grainy quality. All feedback is appreciated! Let me know if it's good enough for a properly recorded cover or if it still needs work.
(sorry if I'm flat in certain parts got caught up in the emotion)

Thanks in advance!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRWDiM7Sut8

Comments

• DannyOc3anDannyOc3an 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 668
    Hey @LindseyBean impressive! I really enjoyed it!
    Not at all distracted by some tiny parts you may refer to which maybe flat to the piano on the lower notes but I feel as the song evolved you nailed almost all of the pitch; as a matter of fact if I were not being extra picky I wouldn't catch any out of pitch note at all; the emotion overwhelmed any minor flaw you may refer to, and resulted in a great performance. Support, your mixing capability, bright tone on your head voice, cool small vibratos and the priceless delivery. Congrats! B)
  • LindseyBeanLindseyBean 2.0 PRO Posts: 160
  • crabolacrabola Pro Posts: 20
    Hobbyist singer's opinion.....

Sounds really good.

Being a phone recording you have a nice command of the loudness of your voice. That can be a difficult thing for many. Pitch is excellent overall.

These phone recordings will reveal pitch flaws like crazy because of the limited bandwidth they record at.... You really did a great job under that kind of microscope....

My only critical comment at this point and it might be more of a personal preference is I'm not crazy about the fast vibrato. IMO it threatens the professional/smooth vibe of the performance. (I'm on a quest to slow my vibrato down... so I'm hyper sensitive to this right now.) Other than that.... you would really sound great with a good mic, mixed well. etc.

Good Job
    Regards
    Craig
    @crabola thank you! The fast vibrato might just be from my musical theater upbringing haha women in theater tend to sing songs with a fast vibrato and I do practice those songs often.
    Thanks for all the insights I really appreciate it!
  • michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 251
    edited May 2022
    Hello @LindseyBean, great work and emotion in this performance. Areas to improve are pitch, tone, and timing.
    Pitch: I use a pitch correction app when doing exercises and practicing songs.
    Tone: The fast shaking vibrato could sound more natural. I think Ken's videos in volume 2 help with this. Also, I think chord closure is important to make sure you are utilizing the air efficiently. Some parts sound weak in tone. Is the tone coming from the throat or the chest? I'm unsure.
    Timing: You can practice clapping to a metronome. For instrumentalists, they play to a metronome, which helps. But getting that basic feel for staying perfectly on the beat is hard for intermediate instrumentalists and an overlooked skill with vocalists.

Since you are 3.5yrs in, if you haven't already I highly suggest an in-person lesson with Ken. You may have gone through the course content several times so more Self-Awareness Singing can help.

Overall, kudos to you for posting this here. You sound great! You also didn't add effects to the voice so it's easy to hear imperfections. Reverb and compression can help with that. I'm happy you shared this with us and look forward to your continued growth.
    @michaelmusic thanks for the feedback. I have a pitch app I use when doing scales so I can see where I'm at so already working on that :)
    the areas of the song I think you're referring as "weaker" to are in the chorus? I know the "set me free leave me be" are supposed to be flutterty and more head voice sounding (at least that's what I took away from the original artist) but if it's another specific spot please let me know
    Unfortunately I can't afford a session with ken. Could barely afford the 2.0 course back when I got it (can't afford to upgrade to 3.0) so thanks for all the advice since I can't get it from the source
  • michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 251
    Okay continue your hard work. Great job Lindsey