Home Off Topic
Options

Cover copyright problem

Ifigenia94Ifigenia94 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
Hey there,

I have been using some youtube karaoke videos in order to cover and record a song and get some feedback here.. but sometimes there is a copyright problem when I want to upload it on soundcloud/youtube and I dont understand why. If the karaoke version is already licensed and valid and its me singing the song, why is it still not allowed? From who am I „stealing“ the rights, from the real artist or the person who did the karaoke version?
Would be glad to hear any solutions to this ☺️

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    i can't tell you who is the "victim" of the infringement, but i do know that the soundcloud algorithm can recognize the track immediately as "stolen". the only solution i know is to host it somewhere where it doesn't do that (onedrive for example)
  • Options
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I know for YouTube there is a difference between a copyright notice and a strike against your channel. I think all the stuff I put on YouTube has a copyright notice, all this means is you cannot monetise the video, any revenue from ads goes to the company or artist ect. There are still artists out there though that might take action but this is very rare now days. Your other option is to use something like karaokeservice.com where you pay a few dollars for the track and then can use without too many issues.
  • Options
    @Wigs thanks for the comment!
    I am not sure if I really want to provoke :D I think I will first try it on youtube/soundcloud and if there is a notice I will use the online drive..
  • Options
    JcbJcb Member Posts: 16
    Well there are Licens for Private use and Licens for public use. And normaly the Karaoke has a licens for Private use. What would work is if you make something Else out of it. Like for example "can't Touch this" and "kinky gir" or. "ICE ICE baby" vs "underpressure" I think it's that way but I never covered in public