Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

When I practice high notes for a long time, I feel my vocal cords... "hook"

I don't get hoarse and during or after workout and I avoid get to the point where my voice cracks.
I stay on the edge before the crack, but when I stay too long on that limit I feel this... "hook" and I cough. It's the second time this happen since I started the workouts (I started two months ago). Then I stop the workout immediately and stay a couple days not doing the workouts. I don't get hoarse and I don't feel my voice tired... I'm just afraid something worse could happen if I continue to do the workout.

I suspect this is because my voice is dry... I drink water every 5 exercises and chew gum during workouts. But the room is very hot so I leave the fan on and I think that might be affecting it. Maybe I'm not holding air enough... I don't know. What do you guys think? Could it really just be dry voice?

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    The term hook is confusing regarding this for me. So after a while you feel like you have to cough because your throat is dry?
  • Options
    HarryspotterHarryspotter 3.0 Streaming Posts: 4
    I get this too. A few years back, I practised a BeeGees song quite hard. After it felt like when I sing, every now and then theres this hook, or literal stop and I have to cough or clear my throat
  • Options
    DonaldWinstonDonaldWinston 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
    When I said "hook" I meant like something snapped. Like my vocal cords had unsticked off my throat. I dont know... But I think it really was dry air. I bought a air humidifier and it seems the problem disappear.
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Its possible you've over extended your larynx, I get this feeling sometimes when Ive had a break from singing or scales and try to push close to the top of my range too soon, kinda like trying to lift the same heavy weight in the gym after having a break, I need to build back up to it.