Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Cover: Say Something - Justin Timberlake and Chris Stapleton (Technique critique)

michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 251
Hey, so I just performed over the weekend. I was tense and nervous with over one hundred people around. I started forgetting words, getting bad pitch, and all that shit. When these things happen my ability to stick to my technique is THROWN out the window! So please help me understand what I need to work on with technique here and what I should do while practicing.
https://youtu.be/pDlK2q-W4Ko

Comments

• GuyChanGuyChan 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 167
    You're doing pretty good !

Basically, it's not only about technique. As Ken says, get out and play in front of people, a lot. I don't know the frequency at which you go out ?

On one side, just keep on normally working your technique correctly, on the other, train yourself by playing in front of people over and over, do that to where you get used to it. I guess you just need to build confidence and experience. It will come over time.

There are a lot of factors that can contribute to make it more difficult to go through in public compared to singing alone in your room. Have you watched all the videos from Ken about Stage Fright, and how to pace your set or how to prepare for a gig ? There are in the course, or on YouTube.

He gives a lot of goods.

Try not to overthink your technique by the way. Yes it has to be there, but in the end, just have fun with it.

I hope this will help ! :wink:
  • LindseyBeanLindseyBean 2.0 PRO Posts: 160
    First off congrats on the performance!
    It takes guts to preform! I still am too scared to even do karaoke so props to you!
    In terms of technique; making sure you develop a really strong foundation will help you when nerves take over. So just keep focusing on diaphragmatic support. Sliding scales are great for helping with pitch (when I get nervous my pitch is out of wack) and some riff and run style scales where you have to stop and then start in the scale is great (I think there's a couple of these in volume 3) this can help with pitch finding as well.
    Keep up the great work. Guitar skills are great man! Wish I could do as well as you!
  • michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 251
    @GuyChan I play about 3 times monthly in front of people. I watched those videos yes. I agree I tend to overthink. Great tips.
    @LindseyBean Thanks for the feedback. My pitch gets out of wack when I'm nervous too. I have some vids on my YouTube about guitar playing. Rock on!
  • DannyOc3anDannyOc3an 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 668
    Hi there Michael, congrats on going out and performing in front of people. Unfortunately I can't relate yet, I'm still working alone in the room and occasionally some karaoke with few family members only. I think I'm in a stage of translating KTVA to actual songs. Since I've never sung before, this comes out as new territory for me but I'm getting a hang on it patiently. The last few months I just fired up youtube karaoke tracks one after the other and recorded to listen back. That daily listening back to the recordings is what has helped me a lot.
    Now I'm training 1 song only so I can post it here, and can feel how some nervousness and anticipation may take over. I recon that what helps the most with controlling this "anxiety" is to let go, try to have fun, and rely on muscle memory instead of trying to "do everything right" during showtime. For example in daily training and when singing to YT, I spend days focusing only on support, then only on open throat, then making sure I'm using both, and doing it a lot so it comes as second nature in those moments, since one tends to lose some, eventually. And still there are weak spots so for me it's all about practice and time. Now that I'm working on 1 song only, I'm learning that there are so many details and "minutia" involved on a single song that I feel -in my stage- a song requires at least several weeks of work; as Ken says: line by line, over and over, then the bridge to the chorus, over and over, then the chorus over and over and so on.. .

I see it as a process, I can hear I'm not there yet but can identify that I'm getting closer than before. Still I don't feel I can show up to a live presentation, but I do feel that eventually I would, maybe in about a year or so. If you asked me a couple years ago, I don't think I would even consider this idea, now I believe it's possible....

Also, Ken encourages to warm up at least 70 minutes before a live presentation, I've found that by warming up with the whole workouts; everything just comes so much natural and easy
  • michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 251
    Agreed Danny. I hope to hear your live performances soon!