Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Mixed voice...am I doing it right?

Hi everyone, after one year of volume 1 and two online lessons with the best singing sensei ever (Mr. Ken of course), I am giving a shot to the Mixed voice lesson in Volume 1. Sometimes I feel there is a 'blip' when connecting to the higher now, sometimes I feel it very smooth no barriers...I believe I starter to understand the difference, the support from the abdomen that helps to put smoothly through the throat.. am I in the right direction? please need some feedback! thanks a lot https://soundcloud.com/alberto-estevez-allegue/mixed-trials/s-M1CmkiAqcbW?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Comments

• TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 346
    Link not working...
  • MuhimutekiMuhimuteki Member Posts: 5
    I don't recall octave sliders being in Vol 1?

In any case, you would need to back off the volume, open up the throat, lift the soft pallete, and be in your first vowel mod from ah to aw as in "loft" to smooth that bump. For my voice and range, I'd be close to the second vowel mod of "look" in the area in which you blip.
  • RLVRLV Member Posts: 168
    Yeah, this can be tricky, it just comes with time and practice and in my experience, just repetition. The slight "break" that happens when transitioning into "head" voice will resolve when you develop the right "feel" for it. I would say that when doing these slides, try to (as Terence said) Keep a good open throat and focus your sound into your soft pallete (or nasal area/roof of mouth). Hope this helps, nice work!
    Terence said:

I don't recall octave sliders being in Vol 1?

In any case, you would need to back off the volume, open up the throat, lift the soft pallete, and be in your first vowel mod from ah to aw as in "loft" to smooth that bump. For my voice and range, I'd be close to the second vowel mod of "look" in the area in which you blip.

Thank you Terence for your feedback, I’ll work on that.
    You can find this sliders in Volume 1-C, lesson 30-Mixed voice and passaggio lesson.
    RLV said:

Yeah, this can be tricky, it just comes with time and practice and in my experience, just repetition. The slight "break" that happens when transitioning into "head" voice will resolve when you develop the right "feel" for it. I would say that when doing these slides, try to (as Terence said) Keep a good open throat and focus your sound into your soft pallete (or nasal area/roof of mouth). Hope this helps, nice work!

Many thanks RLV, it is definitely tricky. Some days I can do it several times straight away, some times the blip disappears on the second run also I guess the throat is more open after the first pass.
    At least now I know for a fact there is more range hidden and it is a matter of keep working on it.

Thank you!

Terence said:

You can find this sliders in Volume 1-C, lesson 30-Mixed voice and passaggio lesson.

Wow, I'd forgotten how much material is introduced in Vol 1, thanks for the reference.

I see Ken demonstrates the slider in that video. You can also find student examples in the lessons posted in the course. It's tough to sing smooth sliders in vol 1 but it does force you to understand how to bridge.

If another recorded sample would be useful I'll record and post one for you.
    Terence said:

Terence said:

Wow, I'd forgotten how much material is introduced in Vol 1, thanks for the reference.

I see Ken demonstrates the slider in that video. You can also find student examples in the lessons posted in the course. It's tough to sing smooth sliders in vol 1 but it does force you to understand how to bridge.

If another recorded sample would be useful I'll record and post one for you.
    That would be extremely helpful to have another reference. I’ll check also the student samples !

Thanks Terence
    edited July 2022
    Mixed Voice Sliders F3-B4 — Student Example

@Muhimuteki