Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!

Home studio - Rode live mic vs actual studio mic?

Before I purchase something just to see what happens, I wanted to ask you guys here.
I started off with the AKG D5 live mic, but that one was too directional and I felt it didn't pick subtle things with the voice (my voice type is on the lighter side and I do a lot of stuff that requires mix voice).
Now I have the Rode M2 which is better, but I would like to know how it would compare to the Rode NT1-A. That's a studio mic and a "Großmembranmikrofon" as it is called in Germany where I buy my stuff.

How do you think I would perceive these 2 compared to each other? I would like to try to record something. With the M2 it is a constant struggle with pre-amp settings, overall gain on the track and my proximity to the microphone itself. When the setting is good than all is fine, but I would like to have something that gives more freedom where I can move at least a little without losing tone in the recorded vocals.
The Rode NT1-A has pretty good customer feedback over at thomann.de. Seems like a good deal. I just want to be sure it would be an improvement over the live mic.

Comments

• RLVRLV Member Posts: 168
    I have never used the NT1-A, but in my experience with microphones I learned that the quality of them usually depends on their actual market value (tho not always true, but more so with condenser mics). From about $100 to $300 microphones you aren't really going to see a dramatic difference. Mics starting at around $300/400 dollars US is where they tend to start becoming noticeably better in quality and performance. This is all from personal experience though, owning a couple handfuls of mics, this has become my view on the topic. That being said, I have heard good things about the NT1 for the price it's probably a safe investment.

Hope this helps.
  • INFJINFJ 2.0 PRO Posts: 88
    Thanks @RLV
    The NT1 should be an improvement over the standard handheld mic then? I find it difficult to be consistent when I use the M2 live vocal mic. I hope the NT1 would be more forgiving if you happen to move a little.