Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Chest relaxation and Diaphragm

I’m having a pretty tough time keeping my ribcage expanded and not letting it drop, while keeping my chest relaxed and diaphragm engaged. I feel my an muscles flexed like no tomorrow however I feel no power in my sound, the stress immediately goes to my chest and neck. I’m relaxing my stomach between phrases and keeping my chest big like I’m puffing it out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Hi there, have you got the course? If so you should get your student access and we can help you out better.
  • Options
    colincayvzcolincayvz 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 41

I’m having a pretty tough time keeping my ribcage expanded and not letting it drop, while keeping my chest relaxed and diaphragm engaged. I feel my an muscles flexed like no tomorrow however I feel no power in my sound, the stress immediately goes to my chest and neck. I’m relaxing my stomach between phrases and keeping my chest big like I’m puffing it out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Something similar was happening to me and it was because i wasn’t opening my mouth, therefore pushing with my jaw. Try relaxing the throat, opening the mouth even more, use a mirror and let the back of the throat do the moving & reyawning while still doing what your doing with your support.

Could be getting tied up in the throat area if you’re doing support right but still getting no power. You have to be loose in the throat, face, jaw, shoulders and arms too.