Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

How to sound less shrill?

Been on the course almost 4 years now but I keep sounding very shrill and sharp when singing even when I thought I was on pitch. My speaking voice is rather shrill too so it's probably just my natural voice but is there anyway to prevent this or control it more?
I'm using proper technique and everything. If I just have to accept my voice is shrill and annoying that's fine but if there's anyway to change it please let me know
thanks in advance :)

Comments

• RandyBRandyB 2.0 PRO Posts: 450
    By shrill, do you mean too much nasality? If this is what you mean, then holding your nose while doing scales and feeling how the resonance shifts lower in the face (more to behind the cheeks) may help. Then you can try to recreate this sensation without the nose clamped.
  • TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 346

Been on the course almost 4 years now but I keep sounding very shrill and sharp when singing even when I thought I was on pitch. My speaking voice is rather shrill too ..

I don't hear shrillness in anything you've posted, before.

Could it be only what you hear inside your head while singing? or does it also sound that way when you record and playback, as well?
  • LindseyBeanLindseyBean 2.0 PRO Posts: 160
    @Terence well if you don't hear it that's good. When I sing to myself I don't hear any shrillness in my head it sounds very bright and clear but when I hear the recording it sounds like I'm way off and sounds like nails scraping (if that makes sense). So maybe I'm just over analytical?
    @RandyB i don't know if it's a nasal thing but I'll try your suggestion thanks!
  • TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 346

@Terence well if you don't hear it that's good. When I sing to myself I don't hear any shrillness in my head it sounds very bright and clear but when I hear the recording it sounds like I'm way off and sounds like nails scraping (if that makes sense). So maybe I'm just over analytical?

IIRC, the brightness of chiascurro comes from good chord closure (ping is king) and the darker envelope comes from a properly positioned larynx. It's best if you find Ken talking about that somewhere but I'm wondering if your larynx is migrating slightly upwards lately?

Just a thought (assuming you're truly hearing something new in your recordings.)
    @Terence thanks I'll go back over the volume 1 videos and try to reset myself. Sometimes we create habits accidentally I guess.