Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

How to get powerful in low or middle voice?

When I sing Anna Lee - Dream Theater, I can't to get my power in the low part. My voice just disappeared from the band instrument. When I sing Fight For Freedom - Gugun Blues Shelter, I got the same trouble. Is this caused by male voice that I singing? Or any way to get better without change the key center of the song???? Wishing you could help me about it, guys! :)
Thankyou~

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I found my lower register came with alot of practice. 5 days a week, 1 hour a day for about 6 months. The key to low notes is to get really good resonance and control over your air and support. This takes time. Unfortunately for females I think you have to work harder for it because of the different shapes of the voice box between men and women.
  • MelisaMelisa Member Posts: 10
    Wigs said:

I found my lower register came with alot of practice. 5 days a week, 1 hour a day for about 6 months. The key to low notes is to get really good resonance and control over your air and support. This takes time. Unfortunately for females I think you have to work harder for it because of the different shapes of the voice box between men and women.

Nice! Thank you for your tips!
  • LindseyBeanLindseyBean 2.0 PRO Posts: 160
    It's hard for women but it can be done. I guess I'd be classified as a alto or mezzo since I sing more comfortably in the chest voice in the 3-4th octave. I usually do the volume 4 and 5 scales (the ones that start lower for guys and ken eventually tells the girls when to join in) and I try to do the guy parts to get my voice used to going that low. It takes a while but I think when we do low notes we have the bad habit of wanting to push all our air out as the larynx lowers. So it's all about air conservation and doing the drills until you build up strength. Hope this helped :)
  • MelisaMelisa Member Posts: 10

It's hard for women but it can be done. I guess I'd be classified as a alto or mezzo since I sing more comfortably in the chest voice in the 3-4th octave. I usually do the volume 4 and 5 scales (the ones that start lower for guys and ken eventually tells the girls when to join in) and I try to do the guy parts to get my voice used to going that low. It takes a while but I think when we do low notes we have the bad habit of wanting to push all our air out as the larynx lowers. So it's all about air conservation and doing the drills until you build up strength. Hope this helped :)

Thank You! That's very helpful for me. I'm going to sing Another Day - Dream Theater to practice on your advice thank you!