Homeโ€บ Off Topic

Learning to play the guitar!

VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
Just bought my first acoustic guitar Yamaha f310 seller included a stand and electronic tuner it's used, played a little guitar in the past, can already play G, A and E. Just learned Emin & Asus2 there pretty easy. Finger tip getting a little sore though but seam to be picking it up fairly quickly, most of the guitar I learned was at school quite a long time ago but its still there.

Hopefully will get a basic song down and be able to sing along it should be fun!!

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    great to hear! but what is it you are doing in the profile pic then?! ;)
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Klaus_T

Yes well spotted these are my brother in lawโ€™s guitars I just had quick play and thought it was a good profile picture. So I am no Eric Clapton or Brian May not yet anyway ๐Ÿ˜€

George

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    ah right. you'll get there eventually :)
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Cool! Any particular method you are following?
    Hi @bentk

Just doing some free youtube lessons by Marty Music, practicing and learning new chords. Seem to be progressing quite fast my initial aim is to play and sing along to easy to learn song initially and build from there.

Any tips are appreciated!!

George
    A first tip would be to really become a musician!
    Understanding music, chords, composition, keys etc.
    Work on your hearing as well and also in musical context. What chords are you hearing, what might the chord progression be, what are the intervals?

Daily practice is best!

The important thing is to not let anything overwhelm you. You learn everything bit by bit. put some work into something you want to learn almost every day. Even if it's only 15 minutes. You'll start to get comfortable with it and eventually master it. For instance, you could practice the major keys on the fretboard to internalize the circle of fourths/fifths and learn the fretboard. Every skill you truly gain will be added to your toolbox. Some revisiting might be required ;)

Oh, and have fun with it! keep learning songs and enjoying what you play.
    Hi @bentk

Already doing ear training gave me a head start, I played the chord of D and thought to myself that sounded like the beginning of acoustic version of Times like these by Foo Fighter and it was indeed the starting chord.

Circle of 5ths watched a few videos on that very thing takes a bit to practice to learn. Will have a look into how to learn it on the fret board.

Got to have fun with it, just getting muscle memory to play the basic chords first and build from there. Donโ€™t want to bog myself down with too much at once little bit at a time.

George

Exactly, take it all step by step. As long as you keep challenging yourself in some way, you will progress!
    I am also still learning a lot of things, and I have been playing for a long time already.

Listening carefully is very important. It's great to hear that you are starting to recognise things. That's your hearing doing the work.

There are certain very useful things you can do to learn the fretboard and combining that with others things, such as learning scales, circle of fifths etc. As long as you are learning useful knowledge/skills, that is the most important if you want to keep progressing. Slowly, all the things you learn come together!

Keep it up!
  • ReinamodReinamod Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2022
    Congratulations on your first guitar. I hope you got yourself the right one, and I mean the right one for YOU. People often underestimate the importance of choosing a guitar that suits you and your preferences, especially when you are a beginner and need to learn things. I recently found this article https://ironageaccessories.com/collections/choosing-the-right-pick, which I wish I had read a few years earlier :D. Maybe other beginners here can make use of it and not make the same mistakes I did.
    @Reinamod

Thanks for your input didn't realise there was so many different picks and was recomended to start with a thin flexible pick for beginners. certainly will have a look at that link always something to be learned. Haven't practiced guitar in a while so need to get back regular practice sometimes finding the time fit everything in is hard.
  • fitzroyfitzroy Member, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Is it better to finish the ktva or do guitar lessons during ktva? Any recommendations for a step by step guitar lessons similar to ktva? Thanks ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป ๐Ÿ˜Š