Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Vocal recovery exercises vs. vocal rest

Hi guys! Had a quick question… I know in the course Ken mentions that if you are feeling a bit hoarse after a gig that the very next day you should do your scales and exercises to put elasticity back in the cords and then take some time off if desired…. Some weeks I do 2-3 gigs back to back that are about 3 45 min sets each gig. I typically try to avoid singing the day before the first gig starts but at the same time I am trying to strengthen my voice well enough to get through these gigs without some of the higher stuff (above a g4) gives me less problem by the end of the night. I’m finding that so far my increased better technique to the higher notes is helping by focusing more on a mixed sound rather than “pushing” to the higher stuff. This is always tricky though because the longer I sing I’ve found that flipping into a mix or head voice becomes more difficult (not sure why exactly) so my questions are this….

1. Is it safe to say that if my voice for the most part is feeling alright even the day before a gig is it ok to do about an hour of singing to continue to build up that stamina in my voice or is it better to rest it with that amount of singing coming up and at what point in this scenario SHOULD I be resting my voice?
2. Any certain exercises that are best for vocal recovery? I’ve read that the lip rolls always kinda set your voice in the right place no matter what but I’m not sure how accurate that is.
3. I’ve played in bands with guys that have done the same amount of singing 6 nights a week week after week. So is this just a matter of the more you sing the easier this becomes?? That’s why I was asking if just singing every day is the best practice as long as you are feeling good after it and the next day….

Any input is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I am going to answer this in general terms and you should also know I am a hobby singer and don't do gigs. Everything I'll say is related to the course.

I tend to associate the exercises with sport or gym training. You can use the exercises in one of 3 ways, as a warm-up before any kind of actual singing, as an actual workout for the day where you are taking your voice to its comfortable limits, or as a cool down/recovery either after heavy distorted singing or next day cleaning up.

For the recovery you are talking about, Ken recommends a couple of things. If you have had a heavy singing session let's say recording a track with lots of distortion, a quick cool down using the scales for about 20mins or so concentrating on clean smooth vocals is good. If you are hoarse from over singing or shouting at the football the following day, you should still do your daily exercise concentrating on clean tones and smooth passagios, not so much stretching your chest, so your voice doesn't "hang onto" that distortion. Distortion should always be a conscious choice, not a default tone, for good health.

A rest day once a week is still important though, like any muscle we can over work it. However if your rest day falls on the day you are hoarse, do the recovery workout, then have a rest the following day. The recovery is like the day after game day for your sport of choice, there is usually light activity to get blood flow to those sore muscles to help speed up the recovery process.

A warm up is the same as doing light exercises such as jogging to get your body ready to perform for the game. You only use enough energy to warm up without sacrificing your full strength potential.

On the days you don't perform, you want to use the workout to comfortably stretch your abilities and range. It's a personal choice what you want to do on the day before your gig. Personally, after doing this course for over 4 years I don't find myself fatigued the day following a demanding workout, if anything it makes it a bit quicker to get into that resonant zone.

This will all depend on the individual, try do a workout the day before your gig next time and see if you think it affects your singing. Usually after actual singing for an hr or so it can become a bit more difficult to monitor your support and technique. Being aware of it half way through your set should help you in time gain better control for longer.

• Options
    TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 355

Ken addresses many tips related to your questions, here:
    https://youtu.be/Xa2vgEyQE9o

The first half of the vol 3 exercises through Ooh-Oh-Ahs are great for pre-gig warmups and next day recovery.
  • Options
    MarkHMusicMarkHMusic 2.0 PRO Posts: 46
    @wigs @Terence I appreciate you guys!