Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Rib pain from singing

Hello everyone, is it normal to experience rib pain when your singing with support? Every time I sing with support my ribs hurt and It feels like one side is weaker then the other. I don’t experience this pain when doing day to day things. Only when I start singing. Please help.

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi, i sometimes have it on the left side, i always thought it comes from playing guitar at the same time (from the slightly twisted posture). can you tell if it is more on the surface, or deeper inside?
  • Rosejulien123Rosejulien123 Member Posts: 15
    I don’t know what you mean when you said “on the surface or deeper inside.” I know I definitely feel it on my ribs and it hurts to engage them when I sing with support. When you said you sometimes have it on the left side. Is what your feeling painful on your left rib from singing with support?
    i meant is it on the ribs (outside near skin) or an inner sensation (inside, where the organs are). yeah i have something on the outside sometimes and think it is harmless, but there is no way i can tell you it is the same thing. if you are unsure, always ask a doctor
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Your intercostal muscles do get engaged when using support, they are the ones that attach to your rib cage. Any use of a muscle in a way that is new for a person will result in some differing sensations and fatigue. Is the pain sharp like a stitch from alot of running, or pain like fatigue from over use of the muscle?
    The pain feels extremely sore and it sometimes feels like someone is stabbing me on my ribs. And I only feel this pain on my left rib. It makes it really hard for me to sing with support because I’m experiencing so much pain when I sing with support.
    then you should check with a doctor
    Oh ok thank you so much.