Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

My cover of Dream On

Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted. I hope everyone is progressing with their singing and enjoying the journey. I would appreciate some feedback on my cover of this Aerosmith classic. I know it's not perfect, hopefully I'm getting close though:

https://www.smule.com/recording/aerosmith-dream-on/2943495289_4611986341?channel=Copy-Link

Comments

• kworamkworam 3.0 Streaming Posts: 118
    @michaelmusic @Klaus_T @Maarten @SingForSoup @RLV @Diego @Murbles @DannyOc3an, I would appreciate you giving this a listen and giving me your notes.
  • DannyOc3anDannyOc3an 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 668
    Hello!

I think you can totally rock this song, just with a few adjustments and a bit of practice... It sounds good now

To my ears, maybe:

- Watch the pitch on some phrases, overall it's good, but it will help if you could find some app or software to monitor as you sing so you can hit 100% of the notes

- Smoothen the yodel when transitioning through the secondo passaggio on those sliders at the begining (0:55), open up the throat like yawning so you don't hear a crack or yodel

- On the chorus (..sing with me sing for the year... etc) hmm I would try not going into that falsetto until you grow that specific area with some good deal of training (it's all on the course), maybe see if you can pull it off with some belting, projecting the sound to your mask more, so it helps with high range notes; or try a more chesty mix..... Right now this portion sounds a bit airy, but I'm 100% sure that if you experiment a bit with different placements you can find a bright placement that merges with the rest of the tonal quality of the song better... Until you develop that area later on in the course

- Nice high notes on the very high octave at the top "dream on" (the screaming part), it's as if you can handle very high voice and mid voice, it's the -upper midvoice into very high- the area that maybe needs some development.

- Ideally, if you train on the head and mixed portions of the course often, your voice will end up having the same tonal quality on chest, mixed and head, and you won't hear difference when singing one register or the other as you can hear right now (your voice will handle that chorus much better, with better timbre)....

So, sounds cool, keep doing the workouts and also try singing the same song at least a couple of months so your voice gets used to those placements. Keep it as a goal song for when you do Vols 4 and 5 B)
    Thanks so much @DannyOc3an! I think you are spot on with this observation:

- Nice high notes on the very high octave at the top "dream on" (the screaming part), it's as if you can handle very high voice and mid voice, it's the -upper midvoice into very high- the area that maybe needs some development.

I do use the SingScope app on my iPhone and I will check myself on the pitchy notes. And yes, I am not happy with using falsetto on the chorus. I will experiment with belting and keeping the sound in the mask. Airy is a good description of the sound, I want to strengthen it. I will keep at it and thanks again for your great feedback!
  • MaartenMaarten 2.0 PRO Posts: 36
    you have a voice for this one, and the high scream is nice. BUt I agree with Danny, watch your pitch and don't hold back
  • michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 251
    Hello @kworam thanks for the tag! Sorry for the late reply.

First thing I notice is a weaker and not full tone. This can be improved by doing those vocal exercises religiously for at least 30min a day. And of course doing them the right way.

Singing that LAH AH sound with a bright, open, full sound will help dramatically.

Second thing is you flip to falsetto, meaning you have not yet developed the head voice of your register. This comes with time, but my primary focus would be developing my chest voice.

Third thing is song choice. I would recommend a song by Coldplay, Chris Isaak, Bill Withers, or Steve Miller Band. Look for singers that are Baritones and low tenors.

Great job posting and sharing with us! Keep up the continued effort. We are here to support you.
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2023
    Hey @kworam!

Overall the pitch for the verses is fine. However, I see that some of the vowel choices you are making are causing you to flip into falsetto (like in the slide into "Gone"). If you hear well you can see that you didn't really modify much as you went up, therefore you had no space left for the higher note, causing you to close down. Naturally your body wants to get rid of all that air pressure trapped due to you closing that space, therefore you flip into falsetto naturally.

Try to sing with more open vowels. Once you master tackling those high notes a lot more open, you will keep a mental (muscle memory) note on how it should feel and you can kind of negotiate these vowels and consonants.

Impressive heady mix at 3:34, if you practice the pitch and control on that you're spot on.

Good job and keep it up man!

- Diego

@Diego thanks so much for your careful notes Diego. I really respect your ability, and I am grateful to have your feedback.